T: Fuel Tank Long Range Tank

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
All these old tales about ethanol blaming for any leaks in fuel systems. It is the thinners in modern fuel, like acetone, butan, toluol and all that dissolves seals or softens epoxy tanks - a problem I have watched for many years already . If ethanol (alcohol) were the problem, your whiskey distillery would know since centuries about any problems with rubber hoses or seals. The only brew of fuel still like from olde times is avgas - when you accept the price.
For sealing a leaking tank or rust prevention I have found G 4 polyurethane single pack clear paint to be safe with modern fuel. My tests in several tanks run more than 30 years , never any troubles from that paint - if that will do for you for long time testing . Single pack is quite economic as you can store it for months once opened , it just turns into more like honey after longer storage. There were some more "tank sealers" on epoxy base but I would not take the risk today, people had big troubles with them after flaking off and you´d need to get the rest out of the tank somehow - a gigantic mess then.

Vic

G 4 polyurethane

robert shennan

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I got a price from one Indian supplier for ten x five gallon tanks at £225 per tank, they an agent in UK. The price is based on an order for ten tanks and a dimensioned drawing is required

timetraveller

VOC Member
Maybe I can help with this. I was given Phil Primer's tank mould in order to make some long range GRP tanks Phil had designed the tank so that the cutaways at the rear of the tank had sudden and sharp corners. I changed this, made a new mould and made several tanks. The tank is higher than standard and requires an extended oil filler neck. Some tanks have been made so that this is not necessary by putting a long cutaway from behind the steering head to behind the oil filler cap and this removes the need for an extended neck on the oil filler. In my opinion this does not look as nice as the previous version but then we all have different tastes. In addition I would suggest a modern type of petrol filler cap which lies flush with the top of the tank. If this is of any interest I can take a photograph tomorrow so that people can decide as to whether they like the shape. One thing to note is that Phil told me that the tanks would foul the handlebar muffs on enclosed 'D's so perhaps a bit of redesign is necessary there.

robert shennan

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Norman,
I would be interested to see the tank with the extended oil filler neck.
Could you add some dimensions and I will send them on for comment, including the flush petrol cap.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Ok will try to put some images below. This tank does not need to have an extended oil filler neck. It is just the top part of the tank as taken straight out of the mould. The white lines you can see are plasticine used to seal the joints in the mould prior to moulding.; The circle you can see on top would be cut out to take a modern fuel cap. If this works I will get some dimensions tomorrow as I have other things to do today.
1675518620306.jpeg

1675518654325.jpeg

1675518688090.jpeg