T: Fuel Tank Long Range Tank

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I randomly picked it up on eBay awhile back. It’s a fiberglass Phil Primmer tank, one of the last he built. Not sure on the exact capacity but it’s a bit over 5 gal. I believe he has been deceased for some time but not certain.
If you intend to use it and if the fuel you're using in the USA has an ethanol content be aware that the ethanol can dissolve fibreglass.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Not always Ed. I had a Phil Primmer mould which I modified to a rounder blend from the rear knee cut outs to the rest of the tank. There are resins which can be used which do not deteriorate with ethanol. The test I did was to make up some test strips about one inch wide and ten inches long and hang them on wire in a jerry can full of alcohol fuel. I checked them at one week intervals but after a month or two there was still no deterioration.

The secret with these resins is that they have to be baked. The one I used had to be baked at 78 Celsius for several hours. I forget the exact time. When finished it is a good idea to line the tank with one of those liquid plastic liners used in rusty steel tanks. I still have the moulds but have more work on steering stems and other items than I care for so do not want to offer to make any tanks. However, there is one person I know of who does very nice fibreglass work, he makes the series 'D' enclosures, and I could approach him.
Just as an aside does anyone else think that the fixing method for Vin tanks is robust but a pain in the bum? You know if you fall off and go rolling down the road it will still be there but what a pain to take it off for a minor job, Think of tanks held by a single bolt in the centre of the top surface or by a strap. Years ago I made one of the top single bolt ones for Roy Robertson's racer and it stayed on during his big 'off'.
Incidentally I have covid at the moment and although physically ok it seems to have knocked my IQ down by 30% this morning. Duh!

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Not always Ed. I had a Phil Primmer mould which I modified to a rounder blend from the rear knee cut outs to the rest of the tank. There are resins which can be used which do not deteriorate with ethanol. The test I did was to make up some test strips about one inch wide and ten inches long and hang them on wire in a jerry can full of alcohol fuel. I checked them at one week intervals but after a month or two there was still no deterioration.

The secret with these resins is that they have to be baked. The one I used had to be baked at 78 Celsius for several hours. I forget the exact time. When finished it is a good idea to line the tank with one of those liquid plastic liners used in rusty steel tanks. I still have the moulds but have more work on steering stems and other items than I care for so do not want to offer to make any tanks. However, there is one person I know of who does very nice fibreglass work, he makes the series 'D' enclosures, and I could approach him.
Just as an aside does anyone else think that the fixing method for Vin tanks is robust but a pain in the bum? You know if you fall off and go rolling down the road it will still be there but what a pain to take it off for a minor job, Think of tanks held by a single bolt in the centre of the top surface or by a strap. Years ago I made one of the top single bolt ones for Roy Robertson's racer and it stayed on during his big 'off'.
Incidentally I have covid at the moment and although physically ok it seems to have knocked my IQ down by 30% this morning. Duh!
Thanks for that, I wasn't aware that there were resins that were ethanol proof. Baking could be a problem for the DIY producer unless they have an understanding wife with a large oven. I hope the Covid is gone soon and IQ restored.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Take care of yourself, it's not to be shrugged off. Our neighbour's daughter came home on the train and caught the latest variant that's supposed to be mild. It's knocked her for a loop. She has a hell of a cough and is only 23.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Thanks chaps. I made my own oven. Certainly not up to professional standards but it worked. I used aluminium foil faced expanded polystyrene to make the box, One end was removable to make a door and there was a gap at the bottom of that 'door' large enough to take the output of a fan heater. I used a digital thermal probe, pushed in through the side of the box, to monitor the temperature. By altering how much the fan heater entered the box I could control the temperature. A one kilowatt setting was enough. Sometimes ingenuity can overcome other restrictions.

Whiteshadow15

Non-VOC Member
If you intend to use it and if the fuel you're using in the USA has an ethanol content be aware that the ethanol can dissolve fibreglass.
I ended up epoxy coating the tank. Some said to, and some advised against. Seems to be holding up great so far.

timetraveller

VOC Member
When I was looking into this I approached an epoxy mnaufacturer and was told that they could not guarantee epoxy with modern fuels. Things move on so that is not the latest information. Manufacturers and their dealers are always looking to sell stuff but they will not want the word to get around that their products are no good so I always believe in asking them for information. It costs nothing.