Misc: Charging Systems Sensible Electrical Upgrades

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
6500k is the colour range of ones I tried several years ago and was dissatisfied with their performance in rural areas where there were just tarmac and vegetation.

I have just come across some with a more yellow light like a tungsten bulb but with 2-3 times the lumen output of a 65w halogen one.

I will get one shortly to try.

vibrac

VOC Member
I will await your comments Chris that bulb sounds like the best bet and I am one of four people in the UK who have avoided an Amazon account.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I got the earlier ones from a Chinese trading site called Banggood, I had two with a flatish triangular array but these had an ill-defined dip and the third had two chips and worked great but as I have said previously I didn't like the light absorption of the blue/white light.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I don't want to get too 'anoraki' about this but 'white' LEDs actually are a mixture of several different colours. Think how all the colours of the rainbow mixed together gives white light that we are used to. Some of the colours are absorbed by vegetation etc. which is why Chris' experience is what it is. The 'cooler' colours contain more of the red/orange colours and our eyes are most sensitive to green/orange. The brightest bluest (hottest) colours will not be as useful.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
All I can say is the linked bulb lights up the entire road like daylight for about 500 yards.
Anyone hiding in the ditches will be found!
Several Norton owners on the accessnorton site have tried these and all were astounded at the brightness and focus.
It really is like riding around in daytime.
It might be a bit bright for oncoming traffic. My friend Tom referred to all modern auto headlights as " Screw the other guy headlights"
I did get a flash from an approaching car when high beam was inadvertently left on.

I can't remember that ever happening with conventional bulbs so it felt like a victory.

Glen

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
This might explain why it lights the road and surroundings like daylight:

"Due to the time of day, season, weather, and geography, it is true that the color of natural daylight can be dramatically different. However, 6500K is still commonly recognized as the most representative color that matches natural daylight"

timetraveller

VOC Member
On my bike with a 'Walkernator' alternator I use a 120/90 bulb. These priduce a continuous spectrum of light rather than superimpose several narrowish bands of LED colours and people do dip their lights or flash if I forget to dip.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
On my bike with a 'Walkernator' alternator I use a 120/90 bulb. These priduce a continuous spectrum of light rather than superimpose several narrowish bands of LED colours and people do dip their lights or flash if I forget to dip.
Where in the UK do you buy your 120/90 lamps.