Misc: Charging Systems Sensible Electrical Upgrades

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Not keen on LED headlamp bulbs, found they were very poor on dark tarmac and green foliage so back lanes absorbed most of the light rather than reflecting it back, however reflective signs hundreds of yards away were blindingly bright. Need something in the 4,000k range rather than the normal 6,000k-6,500k range.

lee_812d

VOC Member
Do modern car LED headlamps have the same issue with lighting the road or does the 12V make them work better? They all seemed to be the very bright white light. Why do manufacturers use the light range they do if a different range would be better.

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
Not keen on LED headlamp bulbs, found they were very poor on dark tarmac and green foliage so back lanes absorbed most of the light rather than reflecting it back, however reflective signs hundreds of yards away were blindingly bright. Need something in the 4,000k range rather than the normal 6,000k-6,500k range.
That is true but they are a lot better than any 6V incandescent light I have seen.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I have a 12 volt LED here that turns the darkest night into daylight.
The earlier ones were bright but poorly focused.
A 60-55 watt H4 halogen was the old gold standard and they still provide a very decent light for night riding.
This LED makes the best H4 look like a flashlight with weak batteries.
It's a 33 watt draw, not 10 or 12 watts as some of the earlier LEDs were. Still cuts the H4 halogen draw in half but produces about 4 times as much light.

Glen

LoneStar

VOC Member
I have a 12 volt LED here that turns the darkest night into daylight.
The earlier ones were bright but poorly focused.
A 60-55 watt H4 halogen was the old gold standard and they still provide a very decent light for night riding.
This LED makes the best H4 look like a flashlight with weak batteries.
It's a 33 watt draw, not 10 or 12 watts as some of the earlier LEDs were. Still cuts the H4 halogen draw in half but produces about 4 times as much light.

Glen

Glen,

What is its color temperature? Which specific model is it, and where can we find it?

Thanks,

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I'll dig out the link.
Have installed 3 of them now.
Only downside, had a complaint from a rider in front during a daytime ride.
I guess it was pretty bright in his mirror. That might have been on high beam.

Glen

Last edited:

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I was being very gentle and kind to the old steed. Also, the gas line came off and soaked the rear tire. That made the bike was sway around violently. So it was a good day to take it easy!

Here's the headlight bulb. Currently unavailable so we will have to wait for more or find another supplier with the same product.
An H4 type lens is needed.
I have a link for those as well if
of interest.