Misc: Charging Systems Sensible Electrical Upgrades

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Whatever you decide make sure you have a good condition reflector, without that it your light will always be poor.
There is a Japanese unit that fits the Miller rim, Stanley 001-1899 for the Honda CB250n, this takes a p45t bulb and Paul Goff does an adaptor ring for p45t to H4 if you want that.
If you are staying with 6v use thicker wire and run earth wires to your lights and a central terminal, one useful idea given to me by a friend was to drill and tap the inner end of a headlamp mounting bolt 5mm and use this as a terminal point for the earths in the headlamp, then just one wire back to the bikes earth.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Yes, a ground wire from the headlamp to a tapped hole in the UFM to bypass the ground path through the steering head bearings is a good idea. Forgotten that I had done that.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
If using a Lucas dynamo with the plastic/bakelite end and push in connectors, tap the hole 6mm and use pan head screws and proper eyes instead of the crappy "might fit" standard set up, you have to give those electrons the best path possible.

Scout63

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Great article Lonestar. I am a fan of LED upgrades and have already installed a tail light board. I’ll have to figure out what works for the older 8” headlight.

Scout63

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Also many thanks for the tips re ground paths. Is there a minimum gauge wire size for 6v wiring? I was think 10 gauge or thicker for the main battery ground to frame and 12 gauge for light wires. It doesn’t look as if anything thicker than 16 gauge will fit through the rear grab handle stays to the tail light.

LoneStar

VOC Member
The question of wire gauge for various voltages and current draws on classic bikes is covered extensively in the book 'Classic Motorcycle Electrics Manual', by James Smith:

This is an absolutely outstanding work - clearly written and filled with solid expertise and useful reference data. Highly recommended.

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
I think that 10 years ago it was necessary to change to 12v in order to have bright lights. Now you can get bright 6v LED bulbs, the 12 V is not as necessary. There are also electronic ignition options now that don't require 12 volts, if you want to change away from the magneto. There are less reasons to convert to 12 volts every year. The original dynamo with a modern electronic regulator is a pretty reliable system. It's never going to power an electric vest though.