Misc: Charging Systems Sensible Electrical Upgrades

Scout63

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am getting my new to me ‘46 Rapide ready for a first start. I’ve replaced tubes and tires, battery, plugs and fluids and rebuilt the carbs and fuel lines. I’m also in the process of derusting a heavily rusted tank interior, although the outside is very nice. I believe the bike was rebuilt in the 1980’s, but all of the electricals, including switches, appear to be original spec 6v items. Are there any must-do upgrades for basic safety and reliability purposes? I am thinking that installing relays for the lights and horn and a main fuse should be done as the handlebar light switch looks pretty ominous. Can this be done with a 6v system? Should I just convert to 12v negative earth or is this a huge job? I’ll post separately about the ignition system when I get to that. Thanks so much. Ben

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ben,
How do you wish to convert to 12v? Do you want to convert your original 6v dynamo and regulator to 12v or do you want to swap it for an Alton? Myself I went the Alton route on both my Shadow and Comet. It was only a slightly harder than a direct swap as I went for modern switch gear and turn signals during the swap.
When the Shadow belonged to my father we swapped it to 12v and Lucas Rita ignition as getting a mag rebuilt properly around here, metro Detroit, was akin to getting a lift to the moon. We went the JG route which put a lot of strain on the dynamo. When the Shadow became mine I opted for the Alton which was a BIG improvement. I managed to score a used BTH for an extremely reasonable price while I was still running the Rita and having the mag rebuilt by a recommended rebuilder. So the rebuilt mag and original dynamo and regulator are sitting on the shelf in case after it is out of my care someone want to put it back to original.
When I bought my Comet, one of the first things I did was take off the dynamo and put on an Alton. I swapped over to Boyer Bransden electronic ignition. Though I am seriously considering the purchase of a modern BTH or having the tired old mag rebuilt.
So bottom line in my opinion if you are considering and night riding at all, which I occasionally do on my Vincents, 12v is the way to go.
Steven

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Not many unobtrusive spots on a Vin for relays. These are pretty small, though:
https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Relays/relays.html

A fuse in the earth lead from the battery is a good thing. I use this type for a battery quick disconnect:
https://www.amazon.com/Disconnect-P...+pole+trailer+connector&qid=1664197790&sr=8-9

I have one of this type to disconnect the front of the bike from the RFM:
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/GRO...nnector&keywordInput=4+pole+trailer+connector

flxible

VOC Member
Hi Ben-
My two cents is any upgrades, or really anything else you want to do to the bike, is subjective.
First thing to me is will the bike be used, and how will the bike be used.
Sometimes those are simple questions to answer, and sometimes not simple to answer realistically.

As you know from reading this forum, there are folks here that never ride their Vin, all the way to folks who tour on them far and wide regularly, so the answers to your queries would range accordingly.

Myself, I originally went 12v for improved night time lighting; having the stock gen converted, along with a JG unit.
I would not do that today for two reasons; first LEDs have come a long way and I'd now do 6v LED lighting instead of converting, and secondly, I found when I hit my seventies that compromised night driving vision, so then lighting, other than being seen, became a non-issue.

I used my covid time to replace both knees, a very worthwhile venture, and am at the moment recovering from hernia surgery.
(yes, with new knees I thought I was twenty years younger, and acted like it, till the rest of the body said hold on just a tick..)
So wanting to protect all that work to the body, I'm in the process of installing a Dave Hills stand and the Grosset electric leg.

And then there's always the personal debate concerning staying standard in appearance, or prioritizing modern comfort and safety over having "the look."

The point here is horses for courses; identify your course first.

All legitimate questions to know and understand about both where you're coming from, where you want to go, and where life takes you regardless of your intentions.
".....Ohm....."

Best-
George

Scout63

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Great responses all. My riding will most likely be local daytime rides of short length. I don’t tour anymore. As of today I’m leaning towards keeping the 6v and installing good wiring. I’ll see if the mag. throws a good spark. If not rebuild it. I do love the look of the original equipment. My thanks for the feedback. Ben

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think the "D" Distributor is the way to go, Twin or Comet,
I was lucky the other day and picked one up at Netley Bike fair,
A nice man came all the way from Holland ?,
They are still out there !!, But more hard to find,
The Twin cam is Hard to find , But spares from one chap in Devon are good at the moment,
There are not many that go our way, Clockwise at the drive end,
It's tricky, But you can change the wrong type,
You can run them on 6 or 12 v, Just change the coil,
If your charging Packs up , On 6 v it will still Go for miles !, If you don't use the lights.
Just my thoughts.
Good Luck, Bill.

lee_812d

VOC Member
I've just put LEDs all round on my 6V system, including indicators, and the difference they make to the visibility of the bike is noticeable by the way other road users react, you can tell they've noticed you. I've only used them once at night and although they really light up reflective objects like road signs some way in the distance, the light on the road and foliage is not so good (someone else mentioned that on here, something to do with the white light). I did try them down a dark country lane and managed OK. I don't plan on doing much night time driving but after having a few people pull out in front of me in daylight I thought I'd give them a go. Overall I'm pleased with them.

Paul Coene

VOC Member
All legitimate questions to know and understand about both where you're coming from, where you want to go, and where life takes you regardless of your intentions.
".....Ohm....."

Ohm.jpg