G: Gearbox (Twin) Gearbox Query

SteveT

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi all, at long last I am now the owner of a Comet. Have had Velocettes over the years but this is my first Vincent. First impressions are it’s super and has the makings of a lovely bike. Biggest issue at the moment is it’s jumping out of 3rd gear, otherwise the box is good. Can the collective wisdom here advise what kind of job this may be and does it necessitate removal of the box or can it be done in situ? Just wondering if it’s best left to those that have more experience of them.
There doesn’t seem a lot of info about Burman overhauls.
My thanks
Steve

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi all, at long last I am now the owner of a Comet. Have had Velocettes over the years but this is my first Vincent. First impressions are it’s super and has the makings of a lovely bike. Biggest issue at the moment is it’s jumping out of 3rd gear, otherwise the box is good. Can the collective wisdom here advise what kind of job this may be and does it necessitate removal of the box or can it be done in situ? Just wondering if it’s best left to those that have more experience of them.
There doesn’t seem a lot of info about Burman overhauls.
My thanks
Steve
Try removing the neutral indicator from the gear pedal. If this solves the problem it means that the gear pedal is fitted too high on its splines. Perhaps I should explain more. If the gear pedal is too high it fouls the neutral indicator and prevents full engagement of the gear. For those of us who require the higher position of the gear pedal we dispense with the neutral indicator and put it on the shelf. Well most of us never look at it anyway.

Last edited:

SteveT

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks, that’s interesting as the ‘arrow’ was in a box of bits that came with it and I fitted it. Presumably the bolt does more than hold the arrow bit on and should go back?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I forgot the Bolt and I think the lever is on the wrong way round !! :) .
Good Luck, Bill.

Attachments

• IMG_20190804_083021 (4).jpg
    IMG_20190804_083021 (4).jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 44

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Thanks, that’s interesting as the ‘arrow’ was in a box of bits that came with it and I fitted it. Presumably the bolt does more than hold the arrow bit on and should go back?
No the bolt is only to attach the indicator. Put it back by all means but make sure it is tight so that you do not lose it.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
You could put a penny washer on it, To stop the gear lever working it's way Off ?.

Attachments

• IMG_20200509_094458 (4).jpg
    IMG_20200509_094458 (4).jpg
    449 KB · Views: 19

brian gains

VOC Member
if it is worn dogs on 3rd I believe from memory you can access without removal of box in toto.
See Martyn G's very helpful supplied cutaway drawing in last months MPH that gives good idea of layout.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I agree with Hugo completely, in fact it was Hugo who educated me a few years ago when I had an errant third gear problem, when he suggested that it was an indicator problem, and it proved to be so. But I quite like my indicator, so I slimmed it down a lot in an attempt to solve the problem, and stop the gear lever and the indicator clashing when lifting the gear lever up, I dare not remove any more metal off the indicator, so is it heresy to suggest removing a small amount of aluminium in a localised area off the gear lever, just enough to create the necessary clearance, I don't think it would create a weakness, in fact I could probably make it barely noticeable. Shall I go and stand in the corner?

SteveT

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Well I thank you all for your thoughts but unfortunately it still jumps out of third without the indicator fitted. It seems to do it mostly when going up the box rather than coming down?
I have only just joined the VOC so don’t have the copy of MPH you mention.
Thanks again and I’m determined to fix it as the box is quiet and the bike is otherwise a joy to ride.
Steve