FT: Frame (Twin) Want to Fit Bushing/Bearing To Hills Style Stand Pivot Tube. Which To Use?

CarlHungness

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes the plate is tapped to accept the bolt but you leave that a little loose to allow stand to pivot and use another nut to ‘lock ‘ with the plate.
I do understand one does not want to bind the stand's cross tube and imagine a nyloc nut should be used
for clearance as the side plates will want to bend inwards upon tightening.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
I imagine it would quite difficult to improve on the "Dave Hills Stand" I am aware that one of our Forum Users is not a great fan of its small feet, among other things, but I have always found mine to be practical, and an excellent addition to my bike, one of the best improvements that I have ever made in fact, well done Dave, and thanks.

One thing that did irritate me a little was the gear lever pedal rubber, it did not seem up to the job, either splitting or working its way off, if you glue it on, it cannot rotate, and for the loads involved it is quite a small contact area with the underside of your boot, I just didn't like it, so I improved it, to my way of thinking anyway. The FT100 foot pedal rotates to maintain the horizontal position when in rest and in use, and maintains that position by using the spring, ball bearing and dimple method.

View attachment 58209View attachment 58210View attachment 58211
Magnificent little installation, wish I could see the 'spring, ball bearing and dimple method' you speak of. I am
imagining a parallel spring, torsion style, and can't quite see the ball bearing and dimple in my mind yet. I was
thinking of taking a piece of streamlined tubing (or at least a shape that clones it) and making a pedal such as you have, but thus far I haven't come up with the spring, ball bearing, dimple to hold it horizontal.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
All I know is that some artistic people have something I don't when it comes to creativity. Years ago I designed an observatory for a project. It had a square plan and all the things one would need to make it a working observatory. I then passed it over to a artistically creative architect. It was still a square shape but the entrance was now in a corner of the square. An overhanging roof went all the way round and it looked much better in many ways. I will be interested to see what Carl comes up with when using different forms of tube to those originally used. It might look spectacular or it might be the proverbial badger's botty. We will see.
The best metal bracket fabricator I've ever known used to make the 'part' three times, saying the last two were improvements on the first. I had no idea he was doing this for about 40 years as I marveled at his work. The Hills stand (and didn't I just read a post of FB whereby the man who really invented the stand let us know the history of it?) is just fine and I am not mechanical enough to invented it. I'm just replacing the round tubes with streamline, like the front forks, and a few other minor mods. I'm worried about the feet. And now that I've seen Peter Holmes's brake pedal use I'm wondering how to keep it parallel to the ground as he has...fine idea!

Russell Kemp

VOC Member
While at Vinparts a customer bought us his Rapide and asked us to do some mods, disc brakes, left hand gearchange, rack & panniers and as he had a bad back something to help him put it on the D stand that we had fitted. Ron had a play with fitting something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/10052545239. It worked and would put the bike on the stand with the rider sat on the bike with feet down but looked like shit, the owner ditched the idea and sold the bike. This was about 15 years ago and I am sure that better units are available now.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Personally I do not like the two flat bits of steel which are meant to hold the D stand up. I have seen a normal coil tension spring used which seemed to me to be a better idea.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I am sure you can add a Coil spring if you wish, I have .
It was the Handle I was really talking about,
I use "D" stands without a handle,
But I have a Handle for when I am OLD :) ,
I even made my Comet "D" stand out of old Vincent handle bars,
I like a Standard Bike.

Attachments

• 002 (6).JPG
    002 (6).JPG
    407.4 KB · Views: 20

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I am puzzled by my centre stand, it has all the features of a Dave Hills stand, though it may not be, but it takes real effort to get it on it's feet.
It doesn't lift the back wheel high or anything but even with my considerable weight on the foot I have to really heave it on.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Ah Bill, you provocative person you. Of course it is well known among Vincent owners world wide that your bikes are the ones to go to to find out what an original one looked like:D. I like the 'D' stand handle etc. It is just the retaining system that I find crude.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Ha ha, Did I ever tell you about the shortage of Amal carb's around 1949/50 ?,
They fitted an E.I. Flat Slide 34 mm from USA,
And that Ted Davis used all the front Cylinder Heads off Comets for Rear Heads on his L/nings :) ,
So they had to fit a rear Cylinder Head on my Comet ???.
I am not sure of my Facts :), So I had better check with Simon ,
Sorry Simon.