FT: Frame (Twin) Want to Fit Bushing/Bearing To Hills Style Stand Pivot Tube. Which To Use?

CarlHungness

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The pivot tube on my Hills style center stand will be 1" OD , 0.250" ID tube, 10" long
with about a 10 1/4" bolt through it. Outside dimensions from plate to plate is 10". I think an upgrade would be a bushing at each end
of the tube to eliminate wear from the cross-bolt swiveling each time the stand is used. I did see one suggestion using a fork bushing that sounds reasonable. What material is suggested for the bushing? I also considered a thrust bearing with washers on both sides, which I like a lot, but the bearings wouldn't be sealed from dirt.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
No, it has a more usual wall thickness with steel bushings pressed and maybe welded in the ends. Others should confirm that, I wasn't examining it closely.

A cheap option is 3/4" pipe, 1.050" od, with the bore cleaned up on the lathe.

timetraveller

VOC Member
If it is a genuine Dave Hills stand then it should have a half inch diameter bolt all the way through. This was probably made from a half inch rod with a thin nut welded on one end and then polished and the other end a standard full nut to be tightened up. Listen to Chris Launders above. You are never going to wear out the bolt or the stand if there is plenty of grease in there.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
If it is a genuine Dave Hills stand then it should have a half inch diameter bolt all the way through. This was probably made from a half inch rod with a thin nut welded on one end and then polished and the other end a standard full nut to be tightened up. Listen to Chris Launders above. You are never going to wear out the bolt or the stand if there is plenty of grease in there.
I agree. But I'm still wondering what size tubing, OD and ID the Hills stand uses. The Hills stand has the right hand
plate tapped to accept the bolt (from a video I've seen).