FT: Frame (Twin) Want to Fit Bushing/Bearing To Hills Style Stand Pivot Tube. Which To Use?

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi, hi, overengineered - yes I confess, looks like it in some of my postings. But in real world often a product could have been a lot better by spending just maybe 5 % extra and it would last for ages. But then this approach would ruin the capitalist system as customers would not have to replace these things at a periodic time of use, so a harm to economy.
Actually It appeares I put two pieces of bronce top hat bushes inside the horizontal top short length of tubes I welded onto the main stand. When you zoom in it can be seen and I think some lengths of tube are lighter weight than fat steel plates you want there for at least some width of material the bike sits on . Even on mopeds you find lots of wobbly main stands , a disgrace to a Vincent I think. Possibly there is a cross tube between engine plates on that Horex just exact length to nip all up so the bronce turnings are fixed and just the stand swivels on them, no nylocs then. But basically two short M 10 bolts each side holding the bronce top hat would do as well in case a cross tube has no place on your bike. Bronce or maybe brass seems better than steel, at least you will not get seizures from steel-steel mating.
I do believe it pays to get the main stand right for good ergonomy as you use it all the time. So have a piece of cardboard for getting the foot shape right in a roll-on motion once it touches ground and produces a steady lift while rolling it back to your required stand height you have marked on the sketch. In photo the black gusset with hole at front is the down stop on engine plate, something similar for stand lifted elsewhere. I have found places for two springs either side so they can be softer for easy assembly.

Vic
IMG00012.JPG

IMG00008.JPG

CarlHungness

VOC Member
While at Vinparts a customer bought us his Rapide and asked us to do some mods, disc brakes, left hand gearchange, rack & panniers and as he had a bad back something to help him put it on the D stand that we had fitted. Ron had a play with fitting something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/10052545239. It worked and would put the bike on the stand with the rider sat on the bike with feet down but looked like shit, the owner ditched the idea and sold the bike. This was about 15 years ago and I am sure that better units are available now.
I sort of like the idea, especially for a big bike like a Harley. They do make some electrically operated stands for the large machines that are pretty pricey. I would have like to see the unit in operation.

Cyborg

VOC Member
An air compressor with a small accumulator tank mounted behind the rear of the bike could operate not only an air actuated centre stand but exceedingly loud horns.
You may as well incorporate an air starter in there. You won’t have to worry about cranking amps so you could extend your prairie riding season well into October.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
You may as well incorporate an air starter in there. You won’t have to worry about cranking amps so you could extend your prairie riding season well into October.
I actually spent some time trying to come up with an air starter that would give 1-2 full swings. Was going to use a compressor off a Lincoln, etc. Glad I gave up the idea.

Russell Kemp

VOC Member
Pure genius!. A small trailer could easily carry it and a pop-up aerodynamic lid could easily be fashioned to reduce drag.
Not sure about an air starter and compressor but a trailer is bloody good for all the camping gear and the 20 changes of outfit that the wife takes just for a VOC rally :D

Attachments

• Fred & Trailer.png
    Fred & Trailer.png
    2 MB · Views: 12

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I've seen a radial engine '30's plane where the exhaust from one cylinder can be diverted to a turbocharger that feeds a tank for an air starter.