FT: Frame (Twin) Vintage sidecar for 47 Rapide

deejay499

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Looks like you have done it Craig. Seriously, the suspension, mudguard and step are all bolted to the steel centre tub, so I guess it could be done. The mudguard might be a different shape on the inside but it could be done.

The fitting lugs come out of the right hand side which could be a problem. They are fixed to the internal frame.

craig

VOC Member
We need a picture of a stripped Wessex, inside and out, to better understand the structure please.
This one rusty unclear photo is all I have, not too clear, but if you own and operate a Wessex, you get this photo.
We want to encourage more Wessex, LH and RH, increase their value, and have more fun.

We need to see the suspension more clearly, whether it is able to be run backwards for RH and its attachment.

SteelCenterImage1.jpg

deejay499

VOC Member
We need a picture of a stripped Wessex, inside and out, to better understand the structure please.
This one rusty unclear photo is all I have, not too clear, but if you own and operate a Wessex, you get this photo.
We want to encourage more Wessex, LH and RH, increase their value, and have more fun.

We need to see the suspension more clearly, whether it is able to be run backwards for RH and its attachment.

View attachment 20047
If you look carefully at the four corners of the rusty centre section, you can just make out the 4 triangular fixing points for the connections.

deejay499

VOC Member
We want to encourage more Wessex, LH and RH, increase their value, and have more fun.s

View attachment 20047

That is in better condition than the one I restored! I will sort some photos out of the suspension and restoration.

Last edited by a moderator:

craig

VOC Member
Here is a bigger vintage Busmar sidecar rig with a Vincent.
Large front brake
Cowhorn bars
Speedo to left side
Looks a "Safety" chassis

BusVin5.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Here is a listing of sidecars from 1958, provided by the Wessex sidecar website. Missing are Noxal and Sunbeam, which are two of an earlier time period.

Fairly extensive list of providers for 1958.

Attachments

• MachineMart1958-1s.jpg
    MachineMart1958-1s.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 10

Michael

Forum User
VOC Member
I am in the process of restoring a right hand mount Stieb S350. I have not yet decided whether I will mount it to my Comet or my Rapide. I did buy the left side kick start lever and through shaft from Overlander, however they did not have the footpiece availavble to go onto the left hand lever. If anyone has a spare kicking aroung their garage please let me know. Also looking for assorted missing pieces (seat, wheel, fender and assorted hardware) Any leads greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 2018-02-01 (20).png
    2018-02-01 (20).png
    2 MB · Views: 20

Dinny

VOC Member
I am in the process of restoring a right hand mount Stieb S350. I have not yet decided whether I will mount it to my Comet or my Rapide. I did buy the left side kick start lever and through shaft from Overlander, however they did not have the footpiece availavble to go onto the left hand lever. If anyone has a spare kicking aroung their garage please let me know. Also looking for assorted missing pieces (seat, wheel, fender and assorted hardware) Any leads greatly appreciated.

Try Mike Breeding for the kickstart foot piece.

Mark