Series "D" Victor frame photos or drawings

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The raised part is where the horn fits.

Yes, Robin is correct on the horn. With the enclosures there is no other easy place to fit the horn. On the rear casting of the ufm there are three through-bolts or studs. One for the motor mount, the next for the shock (coil over) and the third for the rear tub to hinge on. One the rfm the spacing of the cast lugs is closer.

I wonder how much of the stress problems for the F106 is due to the flexing of the ufm itself. It is certainly exacerbated by the lack of a rear cylinder. The C ufm is much stiffer. In fact, I believe the C ufm was a D Lightning part. All of the D Lightnings seem to have one. That says something.

I had considered making a Victor as I have all the fiberglass molds for the body work, a sub frame and a D tank. When I was at John Renwick's I saw his Folan with a D type ufm that he fabricated and I realized how easy it would be not make one using a stock steering head. John just made an 8" long steel box to replace the sheet metal oil tank and mounted the top tube in it with a bolt through the welded cross tube on the main tube. The rear lug of the ufm was simply machined out of steel to fit his needs. He had a threaded arrangement on the top tube so he could vary the rake to suit his purposes.

David

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Dave Hills MPH 400 Page 69
Without a doubt the most commented-upon model in my correspondence since Christmas is the Victor and at least six
members are trying to build replicas! I've had desires myself in
this direction for several years and my project is slowly
taking shape. Not many people realise the Victor was very much
a "one-off" (actually "two-off") and lots of parts are Series"D" 500 cc only.
The UFM is the prime example, with a special casting at the lower end and an extra 1.1/8 inch outer diameter tube brazed
into this casting and slung below the usual top tube to connect with the front cylinder head-lug to stop the whole machine
collapsing in the middle! The Comet frame tie, FT 106. was used, but the top end was cut away to fit the special casting and
the original looks very much like a development-section trial idea. Hacksawed parts have not been radiused etc and the
whole project abandoned in its infancy.