davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Series D 01.JPG

David

A to the J

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks heaps for the Info and photos! The Rear seat subframe I have is from a "D", although I would have thought it
would basically fit straight on to a "C". The photo of the RFM and front "D" tube with head brackets makes me fully
understand how the motor was "hung", but I fail to see why an F106 would not support a "D" comet without extra bracing,
but I fully believe you all that it is indeed necessary. Does the Victor use a similar set-up to the twin "D", with the tube as seen
in the photo posted by David? And I also notice that the headstock is different too, with a flat portion with two holes in it. What purpose does this serve?

timetraveller

VOC Member
On a twin the engine gearbox unit is so stiff that the standard 'D' frame, as shown by davidd, works well. With a Comet the rear cylinder is replace by a casting, F106, which is not meant to withstand significant front and rear stresses. The B/C oil tank is well able to take those loads. The reason for the extra tube which runs more or less horizontally from the front to the rear of the 'D' frame when used on a single, is to withstand those front and rear stresses. My memory of Derek Peters bike, which now lives less than ten miles from me, is that the tensioning tube could not be straight but had to have a slight upwards curve in it. My advice differs from that above in that I would try to keep as much of the 'D' frame parts as possible. You can always fit a more comfortable seat if needed. That way you can use all the standard pieces like the oil tank, tool box etc. One thing to remember is that the Comet engine is narrower than the twin and where the 'D' rear seat support frame fixed at the lower front will now be is narrower than it would have been on a twin. Whether there is enough give in the frame to squeeze inwards or not I do not know. Derek Peters has been known to read this Forum and if he sees this then he would be able to give you very sound advice as to what you might trip up over. Alternatively the Scandinavian members have experience and might be able to tell you what to expect. You will find the 'D' rear suspension much more comfortable than B/C models. It should be an interesting project.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello A.J. This is why NOT ! The thing is, The front is a nut and bolt, Instead of an oil tank, Which allows the steering head to pivot if unsuported !!What i did was VERY WRONG The black marks show where the cracks are, I would have thought the top lugs would have been the weak point, But it is another case of Strange things happen !!. I have other photos of Derek's strength bars and fittings but I had better not put them on here or I will get Kicked OFF the Forum, If you want any more , Send me a P.M. Cheers Bill.
bikes 314.jpg

A to the J

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the photo Bill, I first looked at the modified F106 and thought, " The top which has been milled looks weak"
However, those cracks look as if they could possibly have come from the machine being thrown down the road, ie damage
from footrests bending. It does indeed look as if strange forces are at play.
Timetraveller, thank you very much for clearing it all up. Too actually see someone elses successful mods in the area of the
"D" RFM will completely clear up the issue in my brain, and hopefully I will get to see an actual photo at some point.
Having ridden "C" comets for some years now, and having tried many different suspension set ups in search of comfort,
I am finally turning to the "D" as probably the right way to go. And now, weirdly enough, I dont see them as ugly any more.
I am only getting older (aren't we all) and want that Vincent feeling without that Vincent jarring!
Sorry Bill, I don't know what a PM is, but would love a photo!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello A. J. Sorry to mess up your thoughts, But I don't use front footrests And I have not thrown it up the road, There was another crack going upwards, But it was a long time ago. Will be in touch, Cheers Bill.