Series "D" Victor frame photos or drawings

A to the J

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello there,
A friend told me that in MPH, at some point a photo or drawing of the 500cc "Victor"
frame was published. Apparantly this bike utilised a different setup than a series "D" twin,
something to do with the frame tie?
Does anyone know which issue this appeared in?
Any info greatly appreciated!
AJ

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It needs extra tubing, Front to rear, To take the place of the rear cylinder, And make the stiffness needed, I know someone who did not bother !! and I can show you the cracks to prove it !! Cheers Bill.

Calle

VOC Member
Just for information
P7170070.JPG
Their are at least two Victors in Sweden too.

Calle

A to the J

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Here then is another question, (I don't have a series "D" parts list") how are the "D" twins rear pot suspended?
I do know that there is a tube with brackets either end, but cannot see how the rear cylinder is hung off this!
I have never really taken much interest in the 'D', but I am now.
I do like the "Of the one made, there are three survivors" comment though!!
I have a comet motor and a "D" subframe and am looking for more comfort than my "C" comet,
so thought it might be clever to mate the two, and make an open Victor, although am not sure how
the factory did it, so consequently am looking for a drawing.

b'knighted

VOC Member
When you say D subframe do you mean the seat support frame? If it is from a D Rapide or Shadow it would need altering to fit a Comet, even if you had a D Comet. I do have one which has been modified to fit a C Comet giving a fully sprung seat and luggage but remaining otherwise C. Used with Thornton suspension it does make a comfortable bike although the standard C seat has to be fitted a bit further back. A D seat could probably be fitted but they were not that comfortable anyway, hence the king & queen on my Knight. I've never seen any of the peculiarly D Comet or Victor parts in the D parts list which doesn't go into spectacular detail on the different D twin parts.
Rather than cutting up a D seat frame I'd suggest selling it and buying, or having made, a sledge as recommended by Mr Stevens. I've seen similar things offered new in either mild steel or stainless on eBay.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello A.J, If you go to www.thevincent.com click on Misc at the top, Scroll down to a bit about D comet by DJP, He tells you a bit about troubles he had, He built his own D Comet !! He made a TOP job of it, I saw it many times at one of our Rallys at Liphook in UK, I will try to find some photos I have, He had to do a special job on F106 for strength and he fitted an AMC gearbox, Cheers Bill.