FF: Forks Modified Steering Stem

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
UPDATE for end of 2017. Gentlemen, here is your seasonal update regarding progress with the new batch of steering heads. I visited the machinists the last Friday before Xmas and was told that all the parts are now made for fifty of the new steering heads. That is why it has taken some time. Three, one steel and two ali, have to have the tubes modified to take the Club taper roller conversion. That will be done either next week, which is a short week as far as work/holidays is concerned, or the second week in January. After that assembly can start.
23 lower links are already with another company who will bore them so that I can fit ball races. Another four need to be added to that number when they have either been reclaimed or arrived from overseas.
I have already notified AVO that an order for over 20 dampers will be coming in and I still have springs in stock from previous batches.
One item where progress has been less satisfactory is the design of the bits to allow the fitting of a hydraulic steering damper. One of these was ordered on the second of November from a firm in Hong Kong via Amazon with payment by PayPal. The delivery was supposed to be 12 to 14 days. When the item had not arrived near the dead line I raised a complaint and then a series of daily emails passed between me and the firm in Hong Kong asking me to check various shipping numbers etc. My money was finally returned two days before Xmas and there was no point starting another order with the postal system as overloaded as it is just before Xmas. This will now start again after New Year.
I have a question. It occurred to me, that the lower motion blocks, which are made of aluminium, could be either black or clear anodised if wished. This would prevent the purchaser having to paint them. Those of you who have had these from me before will know that I do not paint them. The amount of masking off is just too much for a batch and I let each owner do his own painting. If you would like yours anodised then please let me know via email (enw07@btinternet.com) whether, and if so, which colour you would like.
Thank you for your patience in this.

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
As I have mentioned my cooking comet (now in pieces) had 18" tyres mainly because of its Trials use and I must admit it was more skittish in side winds (on road tyres) than any other properly shod Vincent I have ridden, especially for some reason when I had a solo seat.(I had fleetingly thought it was due to the "hole" in the frame being blocked by the walkernator) but indeed perhaps its the wheel size However although I often espoused the larger diameter tyres especially at the front on Bramptons and they certainly look better I have not experienced any other steering or road holding problems and will retain 18" for the 2020 machine Ben, of course, would race with nothing else than 18"
On my Comet I use german Heidenau Racing Tyres, 18", which Ernst Hegeler also uses successfully on his BL. There is nothing to complain about them. Also, referring to Bramptons on the Comet, I do not want to change anything on them, if combined with hydraulic damping, like on my
Comet. The damper is contemporian, with a double name, using "Monroe" in it - regrettably not Marilyn... This combination is comparable to any
modern cassette-dampened telescopic forks.

Attachments

• F14_7201.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 48

timetraveller

VOC Member
A quick update for those of you concerned. There is a minimum charge for anodising of £45. Only three of you have chosen to opt for the black anodising which means that it is going to cost £15 a head. Are you happy to go along with this or would some more of you like to have the black anodising? If the people who do the machining had anything else to go in the order our stuff could be included but they do not see any ali parts needing anodising in the foreseeable future. Are you happy to go along with this or can you encourage a few more to opt for the black anodising?

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
we alway premachine, than coat and finally machine parts , no shielding at all, and its nicer as theres always some tension to come free from ALU.
but i will have them clear Please, as anodizing makes parts grow, depending the plater....

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi there Norman, Just leave mine all in their natural metal finish thanks........both the steel and alloy ones.........cheers...................Greg.

timetraveller

VOC Member
OK Folks, at last I have the newly machined parts for the steering heads and now I can start and assemble the parts. This is the first chance I have had to measure the weight difference between a steel set and an aluminium set. The difference is 908 gm for those who are interested in that. Some of the lower motion blocks will be going back to be anodised, some clear and some black, and they will be assembled after that. Thank you for your patience with this. I will use this Forum to keep you updated.