ET: Engine (Twin) metering wires

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I always fit guide oil seals since Ron started fitting the prototypes on his racer way back. I also always removed metering wires on any bike I purchased that advice by Greg about cam lubrication is very good. Bananamans extra small oil pump in the timing chest looked even better.

stu spalding

VOC Member
I have only ever assembled one head that had the stem seals in the guides, because the knife edge at the top is not needed the set up would suit higher lift cams where more travel is available. However, I personally believe that the original guide set up with the right clearance and sharp knife edge works fine, and I do like the idea of the lubrication of the stem as Bill mentioned. Air cooled engines run way hotter than liquid cooled modern engines, although as Stu has done many miles with nil trouble, then the seal mod seems ok. I would say most early Vincent engines suffered from the oil passageway through the liner to lube the piston skirt was too high, as the later pattern liners have the drilling lower via the machined slot. My guess is that this was actually the main cause of oiling up of spark plugs rather than too much oil in the heads..........I am also a firm believer that the oil returning from the rockers down each pushrod tube aids greatly in lubricating the cams and followers. If you look at how the oil feeds to the cam spindles actually work, the oil flow to each cam lobe is extremely poor........The inner most lobe only gets a "Timed squirt" as the cam rotates past where the hole in the bush aligns briefly with the corresponding hole in the cam spindle..........next time you have a look you will see what I mean. I machine a small radial groove in the inner cam bush to create a constant passageway for a more continuous flow of oil, and I check the depth of the hole in the spindle first from the crank case wall outward so the groove in the cam bush lines up with the hole in that spindle. The outer lobe does not suffer from this issue, as the hole in the spindle delivers oil to the open cavity between the two bushes, where the outer cam lobe is.
Hi Greg, Tony Maughan reckoned that the position of the oil hole in the top of the cam spindle was wrong. He fitted spindles with the oil hole underneath so that the oil supply was not cut off by valve spring pressure. Cheers, Stu

greg brillus

VOC Member
Yes I have been installing the spindles with the holes downward, but I realized the actual oil feed to each cam lobe was different and the inboard one was unbelievably bad. I carry out the "Groove" mod to all cams on all engines i do now.......Only time will tell if it helps, But as Tim rightly says.......So few people clock up enough miles to really know. I did appreciate the extensive oil pump re-work that Bananaman did to his engine, but it is unlikely that others would go to that trouble. I think long periods of not running and then starting without going to the trouble to prime the oil system beforehand does much harm to these engines. With how relatively fragile the cams/followers are and a marginal oil supply to same.........the old Joke of Phil's about seeing sparks within the timing chest, does not seem to be an unreasonable comment too far from the truth...............o_O

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Credit for the mod of putting an extra pump in the timing chest goes to the other Herve in France, no?

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Credit for the mod of putting an extra pump in the timing chest goes to the other Herve in France, no?
Herve Hamon is credited with the mod in "Forty Years On", page 120, #68, details and drawings. I think this may also be somewhere on the forum.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Same cams & followers and now well into the 3rd 100k miles, mid 60's spares were diabolical, thank goodness I worked in the tool-room of HMD Devonport also an experienced fitter Jim Edwards who used a "D" Rap & Stieb outfit daily.
Thanks for the link back to an old posting of mine BigEd and for doing the pictures, it's been well proven the Honda pump.