ET: Engine (Twin) metering wires

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Think Eddie is following the tortuous and alleged fall from the rockers down the push rod tubes and drooping onto the followers and cam face. If you are desperate to block your feed bolt a search of your local Vincent spares provider will find a foot of wire for a quid or so

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
I should know, as I still have the hard skin on my hands from when I would have ground the valves to a few hundred heads with the old sucker stick ? then assemble them up put springs rockers and ET231, the boy got the SH 1T Jobs

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Sorry Eddy, Good one Bruce and Vibrac, I never thought of that !, But I think your scratching a bit !!, I have always used them, Did I read once that the wire jiggling about kept the hole clear ! Now I am scratching !!, Cheers Bill.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Flow from the guide area through the pushrod tubes to the cams & followers.
Vibrac has it. What doesn't escape down the valve guides gets back to the sump down the pushrod tubes and if we are lucky on to the cams to give a little more lubrication. Every little helps.;)
I would also recommend the valve guide seal kit the the Spares Company do rather than wire restrictors if the guides are letting too much oil through.

Paul Williams

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks all
The bikes are both original as can be expected for 60 year old machines. Engines are standard except for big ends in the Rapide in the 60s. I think i will use the wires as Bill has said. Both bike are unrestored and will stay that way and not put into concours condition, just ridden

clevtrev

VOC Member
Vibrac has it. What doesn't escape down the valve guides gets back to the sump down the pushrod tubes and if we are lucky on to the cams to give a little more lubrication. Every little helps.;)
I would also recommend the valve guide seal kit the the Spares Company do rather than wire restrictors if the guides are letting too much oil through.
I doubt if any any gets on to the cam, being as it`s hiding behind the follower.

vibrac

VOC Member
Ah the little hole in the follower, back in the day when cams were used till they had some wear, people sometimes used to call them "the little ridge raisers"