C: Clutch Increasing clutch lift for multiplate clutches

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Vincent.. it leaks because you reused some castings somewhere on the engine. This cylinder was subjected to a few coats of nasty aircraft paint stripper to remove the black paint. It was then given a thorough high pressure wash... heated in the oven to drop the liner out... cleaned up some more and then run through my lovely bride's dishwasher. This is what came out when I heated the muff to install the liner. The cylinder is now mounted on my yet to be finished Comet. It hasn't started dripping yet, but the surface seems to be getting darker. Its like a big oilite bushing. Good thing I didn't have to TIG any fins back on.
Muff.jpg

oexing

VOC Member
In one of those cases you might try my idea: I had oily rear brake linings on the Earles R 69 S from the wheel drive . But as these were the good old green Ferodos I did not want to skip them. Instead I put them in my electro oven at max. heat, some 250 degrees I guess and let the oil go up in smoke for a few hours. Oil would not stand that heat for long and actually the linings were quite allright after that treatment. No brake cleaner can go that deep into linings or castings to degrease 100 percent but heat can do - or so I´d think . . . .

Vic

van drenth

VOC Member
If the friction plates are the bronze sintered metal type, I can guarantee my quick fix works to cure grabbing.

The friction plates I have are handmade from aluminium and kevlar lined.
Bought this so-called V2 clutch through one German member, long time ago, which imported Ducati parts from Australia.
I soaked the plates in ATF but then they slipped.
I think that it has to do with heat generated in the plates.
When the engine is driven hard and fast the gearbox will not go in first gear and it is hard to change gears up and down.
When everything is cooled down all is back to normal.
Regards,
van Drenth JC

Last edited by a moderator:

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Why handmade aluminium plates? Doesn't aluminium expand more when warm. My only problem with a V2 was when the clutch nut worked loose and the steel plain plates became warped, which equalled no clearance and no grip.

I have never needed ATF or any other pack drill, other than always freeing the clutch by lifting the lever and 'attempting' to kick the engine over before starting the engine.

I think the bronze friction plates were grippier than the bonded type though and think the latter needs stronger clutch springs.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
The friction plates I have are handmade from aluminium and kevlar lined.
Bought this so-called V2 clutch through one German member, long time ago, which imported Ducati parts from Australia.
I soaked the plates in ATF but then they slipped.
I think that it has to do with heat generated in the plates.
When the engine is driven hard and fast the gearbox will not go in first gear and it is hard to change gears up and down.
When everything is cooled down all is back to normal.
Regards,
van Drenth JC
Go take a look at the EBC web site - that's the company in the UK that manufactures a bunch of friction material for brake and clutches.

Their view of ATF in a clutch is that it ruins it - and the only fix is to REPLACE all of the clutch plates.

MOTUL Transoil 10-30 is the go.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Now why in earth does a centre clutch nut come undone??
?
Your question raises more questions than I am prepared to answer.

Why did I have a huge tank slapper that threw me off resulting in much machine damage and a smashed standard clutch?

Why were new standard clutches, or parts of, not available at that time for the insurance repair?

The approved insurance repairer, and much respected in the Vincent world, is sadly no longer with us, but whilst I found the reason I am pretty sure with your own expertise your know it too and so I think your question does not warrant any further answers from me.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Now why in earth does a centre clutch nut come undone??
?
So it can follow the chicken across the road???

Actually I think its because the ESA does not do an effective job, allowing 2 way impact loads to be transmitted the the gear box main shaft and thus the clutch nut and in doing so 'worry' it loose.

This was my cure for issue with the multi=plate in my Comet.
IMG_0019.JPG