C: Clutch Increasing clutch lift for multiplate clutches

Bowsh

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I found this article on the thevincent.com has anyone done this mod? and if so, do you have any pictures? I've got a V2 clutch and have just purchased a set of clutch plates from the club. Does anyone know if these plates should run wet or dry?

Thanks

Paul

Increasing clutch lift for multiplate clutches: The kickstart cover's clutch arm (G91) adjusting screw has a ball at the end where it contacts the G91, the fulcrum point of the G91 lever. Moving this fulcrum point further away from the pushrod increases the travel at the pushrod. This is accomplished by removing the cover and replacing the adjusting screw with a short, solid, flat faced dowel pressed into the bore of the cover formerly occupied by the adjusting screw. This bore is non threaded and larger than the 3/8" adjusting screw, I can't remember the exact size, I turned mine up to fit tightly. The G91 will now contact the dowel at it's lowermost point (you may have to relieve the G91 a touch so it hits in this spot) instead of in the center of the cover's bore where the ball of the adjuster screw previously made contact with the G91. Also necessary is to trim the dowel to length such that the G91 is perpendicular to the pushrod at their contact point when the G91 is at half travel as adjustment at the cover is now eliminated.
An alternative suggestion was to simply use a flat faced screw in place of the standard adjuster. I too thought of this but decided against it for several reasons: the leverage increase would not be as much as with the larger dowel inside, you would be putting a side thrust on the threads in the cover and the screw's threads would deform in use where they contact the G91 making removal impossible without stripping the cover. I also thought of using a screw to push on the back of the dowel for adjustment but this takes the dowel off it's firm seating in the cover bore and would cause rocking of the short dowel.

Hope this better describes it. Again this was not my idea but it sure works for me. I found with my multiplate clutches the standard lift was not enough to make clean, crunch free gear engagements. It does increase effort at the handle bar slightly, up to about half that of a Commando. The nice part about this is no Vincent parts are harmed. Easily reversed by replacing the dowel with the standard adjuster. Paul Zell 5/16/07

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
I found this article on the thevincent.com has anyone done this mod? and if so, do you have any pictures? I've got a V2 clutch and have just purchased a set of clutch plates from the club. Does anyone know if these plates should run wet or dry?

Thanks

Paul

Increasing clutch lift for multiplate clutches: The kickstart cover's clutch arm (G91) adjusting screw has a ball at the end where it contacts the G91, the fulcrum point of the G91 lever. Moving this fulcrum point further away from the pushrod increases the travel at the pushrod. This is accomplished by removing the cover and replacing the adjusting screw with a short, solid, flat faced dowel pressed into the bore of the cover formerly occupied by the adjusting screw. This bore is non threaded and larger than the 3/8" adjusting screw, I can't remember the exact size, I turned mine up to fit tightly. The G91 will now contact the dowel at it's lowermost point (you may have to relieve the G91 a touch so it hits in this spot) instead of in the center of the cover's bore where the ball of the adjuster screw previously made contact with the G91. Also necessary is to trim the dowel to length such that the G91 is perpendicular to the pushrod at their contact point when the G91 is at half travel as adjustment at the cover is now eliminated.
An alternative suggestion was to simply use a flat faced screw in place of the standard adjuster. I too thought of this but decided against it for several reasons: the leverage increase would not be as much as with the larger dowel inside, you would be putting a side thrust on the threads in the cover and the screw's threads would deform in use where they contact the G91 making removal impossible without stripping the cover. I also thought of using a screw to push on the back of the dowel for adjustment but this takes the dowel off it's firm seating in the cover bore and would cause rocking of the short dowel.

Hope this better describes it. Again this was not my idea but it sure works for me. I found with my multiplate clutches the standard lift was not enough to make clean, crunch free gear engagements. It does increase effort at the handle bar slightly, up to about half that of a Commando. The nice part about this is no Vincent parts are harmed. Easily reversed by replacing the dowel with the standard adjuster. Paul Zell 5/16/07
Hi Bowsh,
I`ve installed a Neal Videan Clutch in my Rapide.
I used the modified G91/1 & ET27/2SS from the Spares Co.
It all seems to be spot on, but have to add I`ve only tried it briefly in the garden as I`m in the process of reregistering it so can`t take it on the road.
I`ve got Rheumatoid Arthritis but can pull the clutch in with my little finger.
I`m running it on 10w40 the same as I`m using in the engine but you`ll get differing opinions from everyone.
Cheers
Dave

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes these items were a result of that article and other advice and are now on the spares company inventory
There is a lot of information on the multiplate clutch on the forum (use the search facility thats what its there for)
the opininions differ on lubrication my experience is leave the oil seal in and run dry some have used sintered ducati plates and dont forget to put the dished plate in the center of the pack . Other advice may vary!

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Also have the brass bushes minimal axial play.
I use even 9 plates
Wet.
And can select nutral.

Be sure thers no wobelong arround onnthe splines and machine eveything concentric.

No part i have bought is that..

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Oh and btw.
If you run HD primary chaincase oil you can use even lighter basket springs.
I know its not good to say, yet the truth:
But for once a harley part lasts longer than a 1000 mls.

Cheers

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Tim, you may well mock, but ask Marcus about Angus, lives in Plaidy very near Marcus, rides a big Harley thing (with tassels) and does fairly large continental mileages on it, I was out riding with him just a couple of months ago, they are not all show ponies, they have made the odd bike that I wouldn't mind owning, the FXDX T Sport would have been a fine touring motorcycle.

vibrac

VOC Member
it was tongue in cheek Peter, I once went green laneing in Michigan on a Sturgis 2 up!
they are so popular it is great fun to mock
1572177675271.png