Gearbox woes

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Eddy, may see you there, just going for a few 2 wheel miles before setting off for Banbury in a tin box.

H

Albervin

VOC Member
This started off as a gearbox thread and has progressed through spindles (camshaft and forks), eccentrics, steering heads and gudgeon pin. The VOC members certainly know how to connect the dots :)

hadronuk

VOC Member
Eddy asked if I add some numbers. It’s a while since I looked at this, but for what it’s worth….

With the original Vincent damper fitted, the top link can move through 53 degrees, and the bottom damper through 55 degrees.
I gave up on extending my model further to calculate all the forces, but the forces in the links at full full compression, solely as a result of the springs pushing forward (@42 degrees) must be somewhere near 1000 lbs tension for the bottom link and 600 lb compressive for the top link.
Obviously, braking forces act on the links in the opposite direction.
I got as far as working out that to stop from 30mph in 29 ft is 1.037 g. (I think many road tests were around this.)
Plucking some figures from the air:
Assuming an all up weight of 620 lbs, and that the front brake is doing 60% of the braking, the force at the tyre contact patch comes out 386 lb, and this has a lot of leverage beacause of its distance from the links.
Ted Davis writes that under instruction from Phil Vincent he did tests with a Comet equipped with a system that sprayed paint onto the road when the brakes were applied.
He achieved a best stopping distance of 21 feet, which requires 1.43g.
That seems quite extraordinary to me.

Howard

VOC Member
With respect to the UJ earlier, the jury is out. The bearing probably oscillates, but due to the way the bearing's loaded, there is a possibility that the rollers move slightly farther in one direction than the other, meaning that the rollers and cage will rotate slowly distributing the load and wear. But since there are no UJs on a Vin who cares? :confused:

H

Albervin

VOC Member
I was told by an engineer that cast iron bushes used in the G4 are quite successful. Has anyone else tried this?

hadronuk

VOC Member
Albervin,
Even though Oilite is an oil impregnated sintered bronze, it is often machined. It is available in rods, tubes and plates for machining. It should never be ground or honed. As long as the tool is sharp and the cutting speed is correct you will be OK. If you wash out the oil with solvent or cutting fluid, you should re-introduce oil with a vacuum.

David
In the absence of vacuum equipment, you think boiling the bush in oil would be adequate? I did this many years ago, and at least some of the air/solvent bubbles out, to be replaced by oil as it cools down.