Gearbox woes

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
In the absence of vacuum equipment, you think boiling the bush in oil would be adequate? I did this many years ago, and at least some of the air/solvent bubbles out, to be replaced by oil as it cools down.
It would be better to heat the bush, before dropping it in oil, that way the expanded air would leave the bush, and on cooling the oil would be drawn in.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Although I would say, use this grease and have no problems.

http://www.team-zx1.com/Super-Grease

It does not separate out or dry in the worst conditions. I have some in my stock that has been on the shelf for over 20 years, and you can invert the tub, and nothing drips, it still has the swirl on the top from when it was decanted.

hadronuk

VOC Member
It would be better to heat the bush, before dropping it in oil, that way the expanded air would leave the bush, and on cooling the oil would be drawn in.
TBH, I can't see that this is better. Shallow immersion in oil is not going to prevent air escaping. In addition, heating in air, if not done very carefully could cause local overheating, oxidation of the oil and blocked pores.
The useful link above to a makers data sheet says ".. immerse in oil .... heat to 80 to 100 deg C"

hadronuk

VOC Member
Although I would say, use this grease and have no problems.

http://www.team-zx1.com/Super-Grease

It does not separate out or dry in the worst conditions. I have some in my stock that has been on the shelf for over 20 years, and you can invert the tub, and nothing drips, it still has the swirl on the top from when it was decanted.
Thats interesting. I wonder how it compares to synthetic based greases? Being aware of the forces in the Girdraulic links, I now make sure mine are very well supplied with the best grease I can find. At the moment I am using "Silkolene PRO RG2 Racing Grease". This is because I read a test report years ago that said synthetic oils have 6 times the film strength of ordinary mineral oils.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Perhaps I`ll explain a bit further. First immerse in a good solvent degreaser, to remove the old oil and rubbish, in the case of fork spindle bushes, that would be rust and cad remains. then place in oven or use a heat gun, not a flame, to achieve the required temperature, before putting in the oil bath to soak.
Those fork bushes, when was the last time any of you out there, carried out anything similar to this ?