Gearbox woes

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
After my Lock up, My fault, Lack of oil, I did not like the setup, So I ground a couple of nicks on the end of G4 to let more oil on to the bush, I think I have of other people doing the same, What are your thoughts Trev, Cheers Bill. I also use a thick gear oil.
No problem with that, only you`ll need to seal the open end of the shaft. Then you have the problem of the oil being stagnant and cooking.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Years ago, the late Dennis Phillips of Mid-Glos had his Twin gearbox bushes go twice in very short order. It transpired that his mainshaft was bent from an earlier 'incident' and the wobbly motion just ground away the bushes. Might be one to check…..

I too prefer oilite bushes in this hard-to-lubricate area.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
STILL WANTED: Series 'A' Front Frame
It's not just gearbox bushes should be Oilite but so should C17 in the Clutch. I had an instance where a PB bush was used for this application which seized on Shoe Carrier C3 and had to be broken up to remove it. Think about it. If seal PD 25 is doing it's job no oil should reach C17 hence the need for a self lubricating bush.

davidd

VOC Member
After my Lock up, My fault, Lack of oil, I did not like the setup, So I ground a couple of nicks on the end of G4 to let more oil on to the bush, I think I have of other people doing the same, What are your thoughts Trev, Cheers Bill. I also use a thick gear oil.

Bill,

This is exactly what Bill said he and Sid did on the Cooper car engine that did not work for them.

David

litnman

VOC Member
Oilite bronze was invented in the 1930s. Since then there have been a number of improved versions developed.
Some have graphite, PTFE or special oils added. Other types of bronze (c863, c932, c954) bushings are also available
as self lubricated products. Anyone tried any of these?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Another thing I did was pack G4 with Copperslip, It is something we did in the 70s on the Mini car, On The primary gear that carries the Clutch centre plate, It acts as a Lube' Plus makes a seal. I was once timed at 124 mph in third, Don't do that any more !!, Get it into top soon as ! Because in top the bush does nothing ie 1 to 1 gearing, Cheers Bill.

Howard

VOC Member
I've had a lot of dealings with Oilites over the years, good and bad. Machining is straight forward, but taking off small amounts (eg reamer) is more of a hit and miss affair, and the bore is affected by the fit in the housing. The biggest problem is impact (and occasional overheating) causes them to crumble. Their best feature is that the lubricant is released under pressure straight where it's required.
My opinion of plain bronze bushes is that they should be greased on slow moving shafts, or pressure oil fed on fast moving shafts where the shaft should run on the film of oil between it and the bush. I can't see plain bushes in a Vin gearbox getting any external lubrication worth having.
There are a lot of different bushes on the market now, steel backed PTFE, various "plastics", bronze with carbon inserts etc, etc I'm sticking with Oilites for now, even though I'm not their biggest fan.
All that being said, it makes me wonder how small end bushes survive, but I wouldn't swap them for Oilites.

H

litnman

VOC Member
I recently replace some coated steel bushings in a Toyota transmission with near 200,000 miles on it. These are very thin
and where dimpled, the remaining coating color is similar to brass. The new bushing coating is silver in color.

Albervin

VOC Member
Bill, I was thinking of using either Copperslip or Moly paste (65%) on the G4 when re-assembled. Any thoughts on using the Moly?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Morning, I don't know about Moly paste, The copper thing was a factory Mod' we were told to do, On Minis, I thought it was worth a try, I have been waiting for Clev Trev to tell me OFF, Good Luck, Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
I've had a lot of dealings with Oilites over the years, good and bad. Machining is straight forward, but taking off small amounts (eg reamer) is more of a hit and miss affair, and the bore is affected by the fit in the housing. The biggest problem is impact (and occasional overheating) causes them to crumble. Their best feature is that the lubricant is released under pressure straight where it's required.
My opinion of plain bronze bushes is that they should be greased on slow moving shafts, or pressure oil fed on fast moving shafts where the shaft should run on the film of oil between it and the bush. I can't see plain bushes in a Vin gearbox getting any external lubrication worth having.
There are a lot of different bushes on the market now, steel backed PTFE, various "plastics", bronze with carbon inserts etc, etc I'm sticking with Oilites for now, even though I'm not their biggest fan.
All that being said, it makes me wonder how small end bushes survive, but I wouldn't swap them for Oilites.

H

Strange then that the plastic FF6 bushes for the girdralics came in with a great fanfare but now are not available due (I suppose) to lack of demand strike one for the keep it standard even if an internal improvement is found-or was there a problem?