Flywheel alignment

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
For those with Apple desktop computers or MacBooks, try right clicking the attachments, and save them to your computer, but rename the file to have the .mp4 extension. That should allow QuickTime to play the videos.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Works fine on my 10 year old Apple iMAC if I right click, select downloads folder and play it from there; no need to change file name.

Stunning precision work, Vincent.

Peter B

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
I always had the idea that having 4 bearings on the same bent "axle" the bearings will be overloaded for one and thus will work out the outer rings of the seats due to a turning heavy load on them.
Bit like hamering them out.
Thats why i try to get them max 0.015 mm out of line. At the bearing places.
Than i do the mains in no clearance at all. But both outer bit of play. When hot there is clearance.
Why we need the small roler anyway is a riddle to me.
As it can only hurt the whole set up.
But for old times sake i do put them in

But i dont know what happens if you have even the slightest lock up somewhere causing the esa to bind hard the main axle in its fit. So i guess i do know...

Know so as all cranks i did, at disassembly the schear pin was sheared.....
And axle rotated.
So i do 30 mm. With most heavy fit

All to have a real quit engine.
Maybe some of you heard a wisper coming by

Cheers

Vinnie

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
If I remember, BSA Gold Stars had an outer Bronze Bush, For mains, And if worn, There was too much play,
And they Broke Crank Pins !, Well that is what happened to mine !. Cheers Bill.

Brian Thompson

Non-VOC Member
Just go for it Bill.
You have a spare set of flywheels and it’ll keep your mind active while your doing it.
Also you can buy an outer crank support plate with a needle roller bearing in it for the timing side on a BSA Goldstar now. No more bronze bush.
Cheers
Brian

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Brian, Good Luck with yours, Don't have the Goldie now, But good to know they have got round it,
But they still have to do something with that seat, Anybody know what BSA means, Starts with Bloody Sore
A--- , :) .

Cyborg

VOC Member
I have made up bars with bearings, Just like Vincent, But horizontal.

Crank jig bearings.jpg
Crank true.jpg