Flywheel alignment

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
That Bill is the continuing question. We must all be ready to exchange money for our time and expertise and the importance of the job. Its a difficult decision but we are not getting any younger.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Money has always been tight, The Wife says I didn't work hard enough !.
This is just another mistake, I have made many !.
But I also like to do things for myself, I have had work done by Experts, Not always happy with.
Regret not ever using Trev'.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Bill do you think it might be easier to bore the hole and make up an offset insert. This will allow the pin to be moved further out without any welding........ I have seen this done before.........

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Never thought of that, Good one Greg, But I don't have the Skill or Machines.
I should have got Trev' to make me new wheels, I have seen his work, Very Clever :) .

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Just purely out of interest Bill, what sort of accuracy are you hoping to achieve, I would have considered it nigh on impossible to get anywhere near what is required with a woodworking lathe, mind you I consider pushing a wrist pin into a Conrod a major challenge, so who am I to judge.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Peter, I won't be using the lathe, Only for maybe ? Trueing, I have bought one of those Big Magnetic Drills,
Used for boring big holes in RSJ s at building sites, But it's in metric, So I will try and finish off with a reamer,
I am worried too :) .
I plan after I have welded the wheels up, To weld them together, Like Big Ed and Chris told me,
And bore in one pass ?.
A friend told me a long time ago of a friend of his who bored one wheel and then the other, It was a Disaster !.
I got the idea looking at a 10 ton press Ron made me , Years ago, Big heavy H section, Ron had just drilled
11/16" holes, And they looked really good.
I have a spare set of wheels :), So all is not lost !.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Bill, You know I am not an engineer so what I say is not based on many years of experience but I do feel that you are heading for trouble with this. An alternative I would think about it to press the timing side main shaft out, then to the welding up the holes. You will have to find someway of refinishing the faces each side of the flywheels however you do this job. Then press the timing side flywheel down onto the drive side mainshaft original outer faces together. Use some of the original balancing holes to act as dowel holes and make few dowels up to fit, say four of these holes. Then take the whole thing to any local machine shop where someone will work for cash and explain exactly what you want. They can use the original centre in the mainshaft to centralise their boring head and then they can offset the whole thing by as many mm or inches you wish and go straight through both wheels in one go. They would probably want to do one under sized cut and then a final one to give you whatever interference fit you want on the crank pin, probably 3 or 4 thou but that is going to depend upon varying parameters. It will take them longer to set up the job than to do the cutting, even taking into account doing two cut, but once you have explained what you are up to I imagine that it will not take more than about half an hour. This way you have no reaming to do, no welds to cut and make good and you can be sure the offset distance from the mainshaft to the crank pin, on both flywheels, is what you want.