ET: Engine (Twin) Cutting Out

Alyson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My Rapide came with the kill button on the handlebar. I disconnected it and just use the decompressor to shut down. As an off note, just before shutting down, a couple blocks from where I'm going I also turn off the fuel petcock.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
All my mags with kill buttons have nice solid SPST switches tucked away. Too many kill button failures. Plus I don't like stopping an engine with the decomp. If it's idling at several hundred or 1000 rpm or more that's a big bunch of hits those poor little hardened pins take, in my opinion giving them a lot more reason to come loose and have a party with your timing gears!

nigsey

VOC Member
All my mags with kill buttons have nice solid SPST switches tucked away. Too many kill button failures. Plus I don't like stopping an engine with the decomp. If it's idling at several hundred or 1000 rpm or more that's a big bunch of hits those poor little hardened pins take, in my opinion giving them a lot more reason to come loose and have a party with your timing gears!
I tend to agree, I’m not keen on using the decomp either. Hopefully my kill switch fix has worked but if it hasn’t at least I’ll know where to look.

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
I have a Triumph 750 with 36mm carbs. It has a mag and a kill button, but often to stop it I just let the engine idle and then snap the throttles wide open. That kills the engine right away.

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
I have a Triumph 750 with 36mm carbs. It has a mag and a kill button, but often to stop it I just let the engine idle and then snap the throttles wide open. That kills the engine right away.
Good thing you have retained the mag kill button for if/when your throttle jams wide open. These things do happen. ....

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes, Just seen a video of a board racer, USA,
No Brakes, Single gear, Throttle stuck open, Bad Crash !.
Also when we were Kids, Me 250 BSA, My friend 200 cc Tiger cub,
Round to the stop !, Up the A5, Till we got to road works,
I stopped, He Didn't !, But we got away with it,
His slide had come completely out !.