ET: Engine (Twin) Cutting Out

Alyson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just wondering, did you recently do any work on the bike ? That may be a good place to start. As for fuel starvation, might be worth checking your fuel filters ? Make a list and start ruling out possibilities. Best of luck !

nigsey

VOC Member
It's a bit late now but if it happens again then take off one plug lead and try to see if there is a spark. You will need to keep the valve lifter open with an elastic or somesuch. If no spark then at least you are sure it is the electrics and you can start and go through those a bit at a time.
Ok will do, that’s very helpful. I don’t want to lose confidence in my bike so that I worry every time I go out on it, hopefully it’s something easily fixed.
Just wondering, did you recently do any work on the bike ? That may be a good place to start. As for fuel starvation, might be worth checking your fuel filters ? Make a list and start ruling out possibilities. Best of luck !
Yes I did change something the day before I rode the bike. I fitted an elephant trunk breather from the timing case magneto cover up to the front exhaust valve cap with a pipe exiting by the rear wheel. I removed the standard timed breather and replaced it with a sump plug. The bike ran well for about 15 miles and started first kick after a coffee stop but cut out about 5 miles later. I wouldn’t have thought installing the elephant trunk would have caused the problem but I stand to be corrected. Nigel

timetraveller

VOC Member
Just check that the pipe off the elephant trunk has not disturbed the HT cables, Many years ago, over fifty for sure, I had a miserable run from Wakefield in Yorkshire back down to Sussex. I stopped for fuel only half a mile from where I had left and then the bike would not start. Eventually it did and then the 180 mile run down to London was plagued by stop and start until in the end I put the bike on a train in London somewhere for me to collect it from Eastbourne railway station. Once I got it home it turned out that the HT leads were intermitently shorting out against something under the tank and at zero cost or effort the problem was sorted. I will never understand why it would run correctly for a while and then cut out but that was what the problem was.

vibrac

VOC Member
I dread a breakdown now, It's putting me off riding,
Never thought about when I was younger,
When I think of what I have done , Without a Phone !,
Must keep keeping on.

I agree about towing, I tried it with Ron on an "A" Twin,
I was in my Mk10 Jag', It ended BAD.
It must be age Bill I feel the same sometimes I have a local loop I do after a build or long layoff it it passes that I tell myself to have faith and just ride I have two recovery agreements since I discovered I have one with my insurance company as well. I would cut one out but I see that small print says "excluding repeat recovery for the same fault" it doesn't say for the same vehicle but who knows. Anyway based on a long life 'you meet the nicest people in a breakdown'.
Don't know why I worry I have a nice wife and a van that normally is working I might even remember to take a mobile if I can find it.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Funny, I am scared of going into the Forest now, You can be miles from anywhere !,
And no phone link,
But as soon as I go past,
I say , Bugger it, I am going in !.
My Bikes have been very good really, But like me , Getting older,
You can now get a booster bank for the phone, Only £18 from Tesco,
So that's another, " Must have " with me,
I don't know anyone with a van etc, So it's A.A. or Carole Nash,
But as you say , I was very lucky a small removal lorry took me home last time,
Just happened to be going past my road from London , Empty !!, Phew :) .

nigsey

VOC Member
Just check that the pipe off the elephant trunk has not disturbed the HT cables, Many years ago, over fifty for sure, I had a miserable run from Wakefield in Yorkshire back down to Sussex. I stopped for fuel only half a mile from where I had left and then the bike would not start. Eventually it did and then the 180 mile run down to London was plagued by stop and start until in the end I put the bike on a train in London somewhere for me to collect it from Eastbourne railway station. Once I got it home it turned out that the HT leads were intermitently shorting out against something under the tank and at zero cost or effort the problem was sorted. I will never understand why it would run correctly for a while and then cut out but that was what the problem was.
Much appreciated, will certainly check the HT leads. The elephant trunk has been routed low down as a temporary measure to see if it actually works on my engine before a more aesthetically pleasing route can be found, it shouldn’t have disturbed anything under the tank but then you never know.

nigsey

VOC Member
It must be age Bill I feel the same sometimes I have a local loop I do after a build or long layoff it it passes that I tell myself to have faith and just ride I have two recovery agreements since I discovered I have one with my insurance company as well. I would cut one out but I see that small print says "excluding repeat recovery for the same fault" it doesn't say for the same vehicle but who knows. Anyway based on a long life 'you meet the nicest people in a breakdown'.
Don't know why I worry I have a nice wife and a van that normally is working I might even remember to take a mobile if I can find it.
While I was on the roadside fiddling with the bike in a very rural area a total of 5 vehicles stopped to offer assistance, unfortunately not one with a suitable transportation to get me and machine back home but nevertheless there are Good Samaritans out there. One chap only stopped because he said he’s never seen a Vincent in the flesh before. On a footnote to all this, RH Insurance with whom I also have my breakdown cover we’re superb.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Similar to TT's post above. Many years ago I had done a valve job on my '72 Triumph 500. I had everything back together and went for a test ride. It just would not run right. My father and I stood there scratching our heads in the fading light of day. That was when the issue became obvious. I had rotated the Lucas ignition coil in its bracket. One of the double spade connectors was now quite close to a head bolt. In the dim light you could just see a faint spark between the spade connector and the head bolt as the bike was rev'ed up. I bent the offending connector away and everything was good again.
Now if a connector is not needed, it goes or it gets insulated.
Steven

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
That must be the reason Mr Vincent put the "D" coil on the side of the engine :) ,
So you could see what was going on,
I never liked the idea , But as long as we know !.