Comet gear lever

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have just purchased a correct pattern gear lever for my Comet. I obtained it from Neil Videan at V3. He can be contacted at the following email nvidean@optusnet.com.au. I understand that neil can also supply the rubber "boot" for the gear lever as well.

Martyn

RedRyder

Non-VOC Member
Hi, Martyn

Coincidentally, I have also purchased such a lever from Down Under! It is a very handsome part, that, nicely done. Glad to hear about the "boot," also.

Cheers,

RedRyder

Non-VOC Member
Hi, Cuz - thanks for the compliment! I really have enjoyed the Comet. So far, it has taken me through two British Singles Rides in the wilds of Big Bend (remote SW Texas) - about 1,200 miles each trip and it has been totally dependable. For a photo of that 1st ride there, go to: http://gallery.americanmotorcyclist.com/keyword/bev#!i=765300900&k=Bmnin

Once on the site, you can enlarge the photo. It was dry, clear weather (it usually is, there) and I had by then run many miles before the last real cleaning and as you can see it was not taking anything away from the scenery. :)

Fun bike! Hope all is well in S. Australia!

Cheers,

Chris.R

VOC Member
Similarly I am looking for a bent gear lever for my Comet, I have a fine pair of folding footrests made for me by Chris Launders looking so good that when I get on the road everyone with a Comet will want a pair, but as the left hand arm the right rest is fitted too sits a little further off the timing case the with a fixed rest, I now need a shaped gear lever.
LH Folding peg CL_DSC1512.JPG

Matty

VOC Member
Hi This is Matty who made a Comet gearlever out of a BSA bantam kickstart.
I originally had my broken alloy one aluminium welded about 40 years ago but it soon broke off again.
So as a quick bodge I filed down both broken ends in size to accept a short length of copper plumbing pipe. and squeezed it on with araldite inside to grip on the pipe.
I drilled a small hole through the pipe and alloy lever at each end and put a small pin in for safety and then fettled the joint to the size of the lever and painted it silver.
Nobody ever noticed and it has been like this for around 40 years and 60,000 miles.
At the time I could not find a new alloy lever anywhere so decided to make myself one.

The original details can be read when you click to the link on this part of the forum but I will try to attach photos of my blacksmithing efforts which resulted in the gear lever shown which I have carried as a spare for many years, but works fine when fitted.

CAVEAT The lever is however steel and much stronger than the old alloy one and if it hits the road hard in a fall off, the gearbox casing could well be damaged !!
The first picture shows the kickstart after cutting most of it off to be able to weld an extension on to be bent and filed to shape of the new lever.
The next one shows the lever after suitable filing and bending.
The third shows the lever after a hole had been drilled in the end for the bolt which the rubber is pushed onto and after paint spraying etc - though some might prefer to have theirs plated.
Good Luck Matty

Attachments

• 100_0690.JPG
    100_0690.JPG
    465.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_0691.JPG
    100_0691.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_0693.JPG
    100_0693.JPG
    491.7 KB · Views: 55

Chris Launders

VOC Member
They're for getting rid of nuts etc dropped on the floor I think. Saves bending down to pick them up before putting them in the bin, that's why some are called "putters"

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I believe those are frustration relief devices to be employed when your motorcycle sends you to the extreme end of your patience. You employ them to deform an old fuel tank.