Comet gear lever

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I know that Mike has made KS levers this way for American bikes for over a decade. I have not heard of any failures.

David

greg brillus

VOC Member
All you fellow Comet riders contact Rodney Brown here in Australia via his email at motorbikecrazy@iprimus.com.au , as he makes excellent repro parts that not only fit correctly, but they work as well. Confirm the price with Rod, but they are around $175.00 complete with spline pinch bolt and nut and a new rubber knob on the other end.....that price is in Aussie dollars which is around 110 to 115 pounds sterling. I have seen the new lever and he has one on his Comet ( use to be mine...sob...sob ) done several hundred miles on it with the new lever and it looks superb.....just as they should....hope this helps...cheers...Greg.

Matty

VOC Member
Hi

My alloy gear lever broke many years ago - was welded and soon broke again (see clev trev for explanation !!) I bodged it to look like an alloy one with a bit of copper plumbing tube over the broken stub, some bending and gluing the foot end back on with araldite. Reshaped with body filler and painted silver. nobody noticed for 40 years.

However being more pickey in my old age I wanted something better and found that the splines were the same as a BSA Bantam kickstart. So I bought a new one, cut the splined piece off, welded on a piece of steel bar which I heated, bent to the right shape, and filed to gear lever proportions. As a precaution I filed it to be quite thin so that if it caught on something it would bend, hopefully before damaging the gearbox casing - perhaps this was why it was alloy in the first case. See attached picture (sorry can't get the site to accept the picture which I have reduced to about 80k to no avail - is there a size limit, have not had a problem before)

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Matty, Thats good to know, I could easy weld a bit on, I have also had trouble sending a photo, Comes up on my screen as UNDEFINED ? On my newish computer, So as a test i sent it to my brother and was OK ?? Cheers Bill.

Matty

VOC Member
Hi
When the Photo problem (glad it's not my finger trouble) is fixed I will put my pictures onto the site.
It took a bit of fiddling to get the bend near the spine right. because it tended to distort the metal near the spline when it was heated and bent, and the final filing and grinding to get a good shape took a while, but I suspect most of you will have better workshop facilities thean I do so it should be easier.
I bought the pattern Bantam kickstart new from Leaclassics near Southend and it was quite inexpensive by the way.

Matty

Matty

VOC Member
Hi
The kickstarts are available at Leigh Classics (I spelt it incorrectly) 01702 512564 but I'm afraid they cost about £27 new - but it should be possible to get a secondhand one from the Bantam Club.
The size is threequarters of an inch inside the splines ie. a bit larger outside the splines on the shaft.
Will try the photos again. (Still don't work!!!)

Matty

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
There seems to be a problem and maybe it is a job for our new computer "Mr Fixit" in Ireland...

Appears to be working now, I just uploaded a picture in a post via the Manage Attachments feature, plus uploaded a picture to the Photo section.