Comet gear lever

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Heck _ I would like an original pattern Comet gear lever as well. And I know at least 3 other owners here in Victoria, Australia who would jump at the chance to have one.

Martyn

Matty

VOC Member
Hi Bill
If you look back to my input on 27th Jan I think I indicated there that the diameter of the kickstart shaft over the splines is a fraction over threequarters of an inch. In fact I have just measured the inside diameter of the splined part of my old alloy gearlever and it is threequarters of an inch. I believe the other Bantam kickstarts are bigger than this.

Am still unable to upload any photos of my lever by the way, even after having greatly compressed the file size - will persist with attempts and have time, because the horrible weather today does not encourage riding, though I was out and about yesterday on the Comet.

Matty

Paul Ennis

VOC Member
Just looking at some old Curborough twisty sprint photos, I spotted the odd gear lever. I remember on the first run of the day I crashed Don Alexander's racing Comet and broke the gear lever so for the rest of the day I rode the Comet with the lever from my pre-war cammy Norton.
So, levers from the 'doll's head' upright Norton gearbox should fit a Burman box. But cammy Norton parts are like hen's teeth I hear you say........ no, not the gear lever, it's the same spline (sorry Grank Fiffin... serrations) as the millions of WD Nortons.
So there's another option.
Paul.

Matty

VOC Member
Hi Paul
It's great that you have identified other gearlevers with suitable splines which are probably pretty easy to find second hand - I was not really looking for one when I found the Bantam splines were the same - just happend to see it in the shop when I had some Burman bits in my car and tried it.
Matty

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
OK nows the time a friend who is involed in a alloy foundry has made and tested six comet gear levers made of 601-T6. the splines were the hardest to perfect he made them for himself and a few friends with comets If I asked him to make some more how much would you pay and what is the number required let me know by private messages

Last edited:

Matty

VOC Member
Hi
It would seem that the problem is solved but what is the price likely to be?

The fire seems to be going out on this subject now, but I will try to send the pictures of the lever I made from a Bantam Kickstart. Have not been able to send them before due to some problem with the site.

Burman gear lever 2.jpgBurman Gear Lever .jpg

Matty

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Matty, Nice job you have done, I think you should do a few more !! There is one on ebay for £249 !! Cheers Bill.