PD: Primary Drive Case Drain

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The factory recommendation for changing the primary drive/wet clutch/transmission oil (one combined chamber) of my 2007 Buell is every 10,000 miles.

oexing

VOC Member
Hmmm, I wonder where all that dirt come from when you change the oil in the primary case ? The clutch is supposed to be dry so no access to the oil fill. The chain should run quite high mileage without producing much grit. So maybe the black is from blowby through the crank mains when no real seal is fitted ??
Ah, looking at that Triumph drain plug, looks like a copper seal - for an alu case ?? Not my choice, allright with cast iron cases maybe, I´d rather wrap teflon tape around the thread when fitting . But I´d have some o-ring on plugs really.

Vic

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Is there any reason not to make the drain as Bruce did? Looks like a simple and useful mod . A conventional drain plug also seems a good solution. Either method should make changing that bit of oil less of a mess.
When I did the recent primary work on the Rapide, the old oil that drained out was almost as clean as the new oil that went back in.
I can't remember when it was last changed. It's got to be 15 thousand miles ago or more. Thankfully, the primary compartment on the bike doesn't ever lose or gain oil. That's likely why it stays clean.
If it is clean in appearance, I can't see much reason to change it.
Even with this level of maintenance abandonment the primary chain looks as new at 35,000 miles.

If there is a functioning mainseal fitted, I would expect the primary oil to stay as clean as the gearbox oil does. That seems to be the case on this bike.
Without the seal and with engine oil pumping into the primary, the primary oil would tend to get both dirty and over full in a hurry.

Glen

erik

VOC Member
If you have a modified clutch, like I have then this multiplate clutch runs in the oil of the primary chain and then a regulary oil change is recommended.Erik

Robert Watson

VOC Member
All engines are using Valvoline VR1 20/50
All gearboxes are using Bel Ray 80/90 gear oil, even my sealed Burman's on the prewar bikes
The one Videan clutch is using ATF
All the primaries are running whatever slippery stuff I have left on the shelf, could be 10/30 (Pickup truck) 15/40 (Diesel tractor) 10/40 (Can't remember what)

Alyson

VOC Member
Hmmm, I wonder where all that dirt come from when you change the oil in the primary case ? The clutch is supposed to be dry so no access to the oil fill. The chain should run quite high mileage without producing much grit. So maybe the black is from blowby through the crank mains when no real seal is fitted ??
Ah, looking at that Triumph drain plug, looks like a copper seal - for an alu case ?? Not my choice, allright with cast iron cases maybe, I´d rather wrap teflon tape around the thread when fitting . But I´d have some o-ring on plugs really.

Vic
My BMW has some really nice magnetic drain plugs. Most common on R69S I usually fit them to transmissions after I rebuild them

stu spalding

VOC Member
Hi Glen, I've been using the mod that Bruce shows in post 1 for years with no worries, just a bit of RTV silicone under the screw head. Cheers, Stu.

Alyson

VOC Member
All engines are using Valvoline VR1 20/50
All gearboxes are using Bel Ray 80/90 gear oil, even my sealed Burman's on the prewar bikes
The one Videan clutch is using ATF
All the primaries are running whatever slippery stuff I have left on the shelf, could be 10/30 (Pickup truck) 15/40 (Diesel tractor) 10/40 (Can't remember what)
Robert, the Bel Ray 80/90 gear oil has a GL5 rating, which means it will corrode bronze bushings. I'm using Royal Purple gear oil which has a compatibility rating for GL4/GL5. Not much better, but anything helps. I've heard there are gear oils out there designed for early gear boxes, but can't remember the name.