G: Gearbox (Twin) What More Do I Need To Know About The G49 and Its Adjustment

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
No matter how much you mess around with mods on the G 49 for setting gear change stops, it is a poor strategy to try this quite far from the real action in the gearbox itself. Each time you fiddle with the movable G 49 for any reason you fu** up the lever stops and any motion in there is magnified threefold at the end of the actuating arm , with all other components in the queue - not great. Also there is quite a load on the stops , meaning the centralizing spring G 70 gets squashed onto the G 49 by the long foot lever.
Better get a small block of alu, bolt it to the G 50 bearing plate and set two dowels for exact position any time, see my photo below. Then you can file or dremel the alu in steps for best position of stops for the G 59AS pawl assy when shifting gear up or down, a scriber may help getting the shape right. Yo cannot get closer to the camplate action for solid stops I believe.
So then the position of the G 49 does no longer matter, no stops used in it, just for setting the gear lever for nice middle position.
The stops in the new alu block care for the detent plug for - just - reaching the vees in the camplate - just near enough to slip in place in the vee in the real action on the road. So no overselecting any gear any more .
I should have moved the Allen screw and dowels a bit, got a bit close to the stops, but allright in the end.

Vic
P1070908.JPG

andrew peters

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
yes, Marcus, it was a previous post of yours that 'inspired' me to open out the holes, (I opened out 4 opposing holes to 7/8") I had forgotten who gave me the idea that I may credit them... Thank you Marcus, hopefully I'll never need to take the spring out ever again. Haha