Magneto problem

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
All this seems moot now since the magneto which runs fine on the bench is back to a no spark condition on the machine
Have you tried resting a plug on the magneto whilst it is on the bike and kicking it over? If it is an earthing problem it should spark when the plug earths to the mag body direct, but not if it is earthed to the head or anywhere else on the bike...John

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Thanks John , I'll try that when I get back. I will get my wife to watch so I don't have to stand on my head while kicking.

Ron

Magnetoman

VOC Member
All this seems moot now since the magneto which runs fine on the bench is back to a no spark condition on the machine
You're going backwards, which seldom is the desired direction to go in. A week or so ago you wrote:
The mag I have now makes very good sparks as low a s 60 rpm and below, both on the bench and the bike. I am getting whuffs and pops on kickover, but no start.
I went back through all the posts from the beginning and, unless I missed something, you haven't addressed the issue of possible problems with the HT wiring. I believe chasing the earthing issue is wasted effort. Look to the wiring.

Presumably, when you test the magneto with it off the bike you are using different HT leads (and different pickups as well?). But, even if the same leads, when they are on the bike, close to metal, it is quite different than when dangling in air where there's nothing nearby for sparks to find their way to.

It is very difficult to diagnose electrical problems this way, but my best guess based on everything written so far is that, assuming you truly do get good, consistent 5mm sparks when you bench test it at ~150 rpm (300 rpm engine) or above, the problem will be found somewhere between the carbon brushes in the HT pickups and where the spark plug cap makes contact with the plug itself.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
p.s., maybe this was addressed earlier, in which case ignore the following. If the magneto repairman installed a 180-deg. cam in your magneto (for a vertical twin), or some aftermarket one whose indexing allowed it to be installed backwards, or one made with poor quality control so the lobes aren't the proper number of degrees apart, the sparks will appear to be of high strength but they will come at the wrong time to do you any good.

Even if you've already done so earlier in this process, it is quick to (re)check that the points are opening at the right number of mm BTDC on the compression stroke of cylinder, followed by them opening again at the right number of mm BTDC on the compression stroke of the other cylinder. The issue is the magneto isn't doing what you expect it to do, so even if you "know" the result you will get from a check like this it is well worthwhile to do it anyway to be sure.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Thank you Magnetoman, and I really do appreciate the expertise you and the others have offered. As you say, it is very hard to diagnose electrical problems this way, because often all the factors are not obviously stated in postings. In this case, the ATD problems I was having two weeks ago prompted me to go to manual advance. This happened so quickly since the manual change was made to another magneto. Way back in the thread you will find that the original magneto I used and had trouble with was exchanged for a second one, and that was the one that seemed promising. Now I have the original one back, refurbished, re magnetized, tested and converted to manual. To make things even more confusing, I did not mention that the second mag is one that I have had at the rebuilders for a couple of months, made from a disassembled but complete mag that was given to me. To help me out, the rebuilder was kind enough to expedite the restoration and sent it to me at no charge while troubleshooting the original. I will have the second one back eventually, since while it seemed OK, I sent it back in last week for a final look and check because I have been having so many problems. I could use that one to diagnose problems when I get it back, but I would have to get a new ATD or fix my old one to use it. I had hoped to spare everyone what seemed unimportant details, but probably just confused matters by the omission. I also want to state the high regard I have for the rebuilder, for whom I have great respect and confidence, and who has bent over backwards to try to get me through this. Any discussion there has no place in a public forum, and I am uncomfortable even saying this much. I was hoping someone could tell me whether "I" was doing something obviously stupid, and as it turns out I was, in several respects. So much so that I wish this was not so public a venue. Too much information with only entertainment value. Still, I can't tell you how much I have learned in the past month about ignition systems.

Back to the matter at hand, I have used the same wiring, plugs, and pickups on the bench as on the bike. The cam is a v twin 50 degree cam, and I have used my magneto timing tool and a degree wheel to determine correct points opening on both cylinders. This is easy now that the bum ATD is gone. The plug wires are Packard 440, and the caps are nice new sparkies. You may to be on to the spark escaping somewhere else, but I can't find it. The mag does not care about external timing if the plugs are clamped to a fin, so if no sparks happen then, I can only look to bad ground, leaky wires, or something about bolting the flange to the engine that changes things. Despite my complaining abut my knees, with the plugs out and clamped to the fins I have been able to swing the kickstart fast enough to test the spark. Finally, since this is the magneto I had the original problem with, there certainly could be some internal intermittent fault that has been missed. If this is the case, I do not want to be at its mercy 50 miles out, even if it suddenly starts to work if I happen to get something right during troubleshooting. The points and coil system should get me running and answer some of the questions I have, including the tuning of the brand new Amal concentrics. I can then address what is going on with the magneto at some length, including doing some of the things you talk about in the excellent Magnetoman series you have linked here on this forum and the DIY section on the bright spark website. There are some good tests and diagnostics to be done with close inspection and the basic tools I have.
I hope to be at the SL reunion Rally in early July , so getting the bike running now makes further magneto troubleshooting a luxury.

Mothers Day just passed, and as my dear departed used to tell me, " your mouth runs like a whippoorwill's butt"

Ron

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Thank you Magnetoman, and I really do appreciate the expertise you and the others have offered. As you say, it is very hard to diagnose electrical problems this way, because often all the factors are not obviously stated in postings. In this case, the ATD problems I was having two weeks ago prompted me to go to manual advance. This happened so quickly since the manual change was made to another magneto. Way back in the thread you will find that the original magneto I used and had trouble with was exchanged for a second one, and that was the one that seemed promising. Now I have the original one back, refurbished, re magnetized, tested and converted to manual. To make things even more confusing, I did not mention that the second mag is one that I have had at the rebuilders for a couple of months, made from a disassembled but complete mag that was given to me. To help me out, the rebuilder was kind enough to expedite the restoration and sent it to me at no charge while troubleshooting the original. I will have the second one back eventually, since while it seemed OK, I sent it back in last week for a final look and check because I have been having so many problems. I could use that one to diagnose problems when I get it back, but I would have to get a new ATD or fix my old one to use it. I had hoped to spare everyone what seemed unimportant details, but probably just confused matters by the omission. I also want to state the high regard I have for the rebuilder, for whom I have great respect and confidence, and who has bent over backwards to try to get me through this. Any discussion there has no place in a public forum, and I am uncomfortable even saying this much. I was hoping someone could tell me whether "I" was doing something obviously stupid, and as it turns out I was, in several respects. So much so that I wish this was not so public a venue. Too much information with only entertainment value. Still, I can't tell you how much I have learned in the past month about ignition systems.

Back to the matter at hand, I have used the same wiring, plugs, and pickups on the bench as on the bike. The cam is a v twin 50 degree cam, and I have used my magneto timing tool and a degree wheel to determine correct points opening on both cylinders. This is easy now that the bum ATD is gone. The plug wires are Packard 440, and the caps are nice new sparkies. You may to be on to the spark escaping somewhere else, but I can't find it. The mag does not care about external timing if the plugs are clamped to a fin, so if no sparks happen then, I can only look to bad ground, leaky wires, or something about bolting the flange to the engine that changes things. Despite my complaining abut my knees, with the plugs out and clamped to the fins I have been able to swing the kickstart fast enough to test the spark. Finally, since this is the magneto I had the original problem with, there certainly could be some internal intermittent fault that has been missed. If this is the case, I do not want to be at its mercy 50 miles out, even if it suddenly starts to work if I happen to get something right during troubleshooting. The points and coil system should get me running and answer some of the questions I have, including the tuning of the brand new Amal concentrics. I can then address what is going on with the magneto at some length, including doing some of the things you talk about in the excellent Magnetoman series you have linked here on this forum and the DIY section on the bright spark website. There are some good tests and diagnostics to be done with close inspection and the basic tools I have.
I hope to be at the SL reunion Rally in early July , so getting the bike running now makes further magneto troubleshooting a luxury.

Mothers Day just passed, and as my dear departed used to tell me, " your mouth runs like a whippoorwill's butt"

Ron
I had a like issue with my Lucas Magneto - it turned out that there was a fault with the slip ring that caused it to intermittently short out - was a bugger to find. Replaced the slip ring and bliss was restored. Worth a look.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I had hoped to spare everyone what seemed unimportant details, but probably just confused matters by the omission.
As I said, it is very difficult to diagnose electrical problems described by others, in no small part because information provided may not be totally accurate or complete, and information omitted may not be irrelevant.
I also want to state the high regard I have for the rebuilder, for whom I have great respect and confidence,
Your magneto repairman may be great, but I have no way of knowing that. However, and I say this not to sound mean, neither do you. What matters here is the technical expertise of the repairman, not his bedside manner, and it requires having the relevant technical expertise in order to accurately assess it in someone else.

This brings us back to diagnosing your magneto. It's quite possible you've not mentioned certain things because of what your magneto repairman told you. Maybe what he told you is correct, but maybe it's not. Not knowing what he told you, and not knowing if his technical expertise actually merits the confidence you have in him, I have no way to know. What I do know, though, is a properly rebuilt magneto with quality wires and caps, and that is properly installed and timed, will allow a motorcycle to be started easily if the fuel system also is properly assembled. Unfortunately, one or more of the "properlies" in the previous sentence actually is an "improperly," but the difficulty is to diagnose it from a distance.

John Smith-Daye

VOC Member
As I said, it is very difficult to diagnose electrical problems described by others, in no small part because information provided may not be totally accurate or complete, and information omitted may not be irrelevant.
Your magneto repairman may be great, but I have no way of knowing that. However, and I say this not to sound mean, neither do you. What matters here is the technical expertise of the repairman, not his bedside manner, and it requires having the relevant technical expertise in order to accurately assess it in someone else.

This brings us back to diagnosing your magneto. It's quite possible you've not mentioned certain things because of what your magneto repairman told you. Maybe what he told you is correct, but maybe it's not. Not knowing what he told you, and not knowing if his technical expertise actually merits the confidence you have in him, I have no way to know. What I do know, though, is a properly rebuilt magneto with quality wires and caps, and that is properly installed and timed, will allow a motorcycle to be started easily if the fuel system also is properly assembled. Unfortunately, one or more of the "properlies" in the previous sentence actually is an "improperly," but the difficulty is to diagnose it from a distance.
So, what you are saying is that the known knowns are known, the unknown knowns should be known, the known unknowns that are known are of use, and the unknown unknowns should be known to be of use?