G: Gearbox (Twin) Lightning gear linkage/rose joint

Herman-Handlebars

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello again,
Does anyone know what the ball/rose joints are called like ones fitted to B gear linkages and looked like also Lightnings. Apologies is this incorrect.
I've recently followed one on eBay which sold for 150 quid, which I wanted to replicate.

On Google searching, I found some quick release Karting ball joints which look similar. Are these along the same lines as the Vincent ones?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210206-162436_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210206-162436_Google.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20210206-161247_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210206-161247_eBay.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20210206-161209_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210206-161209_eBay.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 16

medat727

VOC Member
Hello again,
Does anyone know what the ball/rose joints are called like ones fitted to B gear linkages and looked like also Lightnings. Apologies is this incorrect.
I've recently followed one on eBay which sold for 150 quid, which I wanted to replicate.

On Google searching, I found some quick release Karting ball joints which look similar. Are these along the same lines as the Vincent ones?
Herman,
I found these when I was building my Lightning replica, stainless so you can hit them with glass bead so they look like cad, from McMaster-Carr here in the US.
D78319E1-287E-4FA8-AE03-63EDC341A83F.jpeg
F01246C7-9FAF-40C6-83F0-AC302E2649D0.jpeg

Herman-Handlebars

Non-VOC Member
Herman,
I found these when I was building my Lightning replica, stainless so you can hit them with glass bead so they look like cad, from McMaster-Carr here in the US.View attachment 40225View attachment 40226
Thanks Medat727,
Thats just the kind of thing I was looking for I'll drop them a bell, and see if they ship to the UK.
The only thing I've found similar is classic car throttle linkage rods/joints but are smaller or too large.
Cheers

Robert Watson

VOC Member
McMaster Carr will not ship out of the US without a MOUNTAIN of paperwork to ascertain that you are not using their products to build some kind of weapon/machine that will be used against the US.

Just get someone you know in the US to buy what you need and send it to you, although your friend will be at risk of exporting possibly controlled items to an alien country.

That's just the way it is and I am not trying to start a political commentary here.

Cyborg

VOC Member
McMaster Carr will not ship out of the US without a MOUNTAIN of paperwork to ascertain that you are not using their products to build some kind of weapon/machine that will be used against the US.

Just get someone you know in the US to buy what you need and send it to you, although your friend will be at risk of exporting possibly controlled items to an alien country.

That's just the way it is and I am not trying to start a political commentary here.
That’s what I thought.... then Vincent Brake ordered (and I believe receive) a shipment of thrust washers. Maybe the Dutch are considered pacifists and we Canadians are still considered war mongers. #1812burndownthewhitehouse

Robert Watson

VOC Member
That’s what I thought.... then Vincent Brake ordered (and I believe receive) a shipment of thrust washers. Maybe the Dutch are considered pacifists and we Canadians are still considered war mongers. #1812burndownthewhitehouse
I ordered some odd screws I could not find elsewhere about a year + ago. They shipped the next day and then after having shipped realized that this was a shipment to their neighbours to the North and sent me a list of all the paperwork they required before they would ever ship to me again.

I have a set of the linkage that was on my early B but it required lubricating at every turn or the whole plot would get very stiff and fail to shift properly. Looked cool but rather impractical for continuous use.

andrew peters

VOC Member
Herman,
I found these when I was building my Lightning replica, stainless so you can hit them with glass bead so they look like cad, from McMaster-Carr here in the US.View attachment 40225View attachment 40226
what we are looking at here is the gear shift linkage that are used on Harley Big Twins, very common from 80s to present... plated, cadmium I think, maybe dull chrome... available from Drag Specialties (HD aftermarket parts)
DS325512(1).jpg