bth mag ht interference.

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks Ed, I can see a couple of non standard install items for your BTH system, but maybe it is just me. LOL
I am trying to understand the successful BTH installs. Do you have a photo of your remote secondary coils installs. I would like to understand your complete system.
The supplied BTH twin coil system as shown imply that having the high tension coils right next the end cover housing the electronic module is a suitable system, and that running the now shielded kill wire up the high tension pair is also suitable. This does not work for me, my unit has been back to factory for repair....and I believe they simply replaced the secondary coils and return to me for actual testing.
Thank you
Craig

Dear Craig,
I ran my coils in a similar position to those shown in your photograph. I mounted the coils shown in my previous photograph because I was trying to get a straighter run out of the cowl for the HT leads.
My Rapide is in rebuild mode at the moment after "U" turn didn't see you moment by a car driver. I have found a photograph that is not specific to the coils mounted under the tank but if you click the image and zoom in you should be able to see the coils under the front of the tank and the before HT leads and low tension wires exiting the cowl and going up under the tank.
Vincent Rapide (1) cropped.jpg

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Steven,

I would be concerned about adding plugs. I am sure Tim is right about subtracting plugs. Bill Norton added a plug and the unit eventually stopped working. Returned from the manufacturer as a twin plug this year and works fine. We will see how well it continues to work.

David

David,
Oh, I'm not thinking of adding any plugs. I'm just concerned that I will do some irreparable damage by not having a dual plug setup. To be truthful your post has me a bit worried as the wiring to the four coils looks questionable as it appears to be hacked about. There are cheap looking crimp connectors and nasty looking electrical tape in places. Now, I'm wondering if it isn't a two coil system someone modified to four coils, damaged and passed on because it failed. Caveat Emptor, it was an evil bay purchase. I think I might contact B-TH with the serial number and see if they have a record of how and when it left their facility. If they keep such records. I will also set up to check that it does indeed spark before going to the work of installing it. We shall see.
Steven

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Thanks Ed, I can see a couple of non standard install items for your BTH system, but maybe it is just me. LOL
I am trying to understand the successful BTH installs. Do you have a photo of your remote secondary coils installs. I would like to understand your complete system.
The supplied BTH twin coil system as shown imply that having the high tension coils right next the end cover housing the electronic module is a suitable system, and that running the now shielded kill wire up the high tension pair is also suitable. This does not work for me, my unit has been back to factory for repair....and I believe they simply replaced the secondary coils and return to me for actual testing.
Thank you
Craig
View attachment 12822
Hi Craig,
Mac here. My BTH is installed with coils as in your photo. The spark plug leads are routed forwards and upwards to exit the cowl and from there along the left side ( looking forwards ) of the engine. They then go over the top of each head under the ufm( mines a D). The kill wire is routed directly left out of the cowl where it enters the ally tube. When I had the issue with the first mag it was the internal sensor which was the problem. Peter did bench test the repair but the problem came back so that mag was replaced. The bike began to misfire on the replacement mag when I opened it up after running it in which is when after lots of head scratching, I re routed the kill wire and cured the problem. I've done a few thousand miles since with no miss fire. Peter was pretty helpful when I had the initial problem and I would doubt if he would send out a mag without first testing it.
Mac

craig

VOC Member
On the new model BT-H they supply which looks more like a conventional K2-F/ KV-F the coils are mounted completely away from the mag housing, up under the tank somewhere I suppose, and the low tension output wires that go to each coil look like the original HT wires where they come out of the dummy pickups on each side of the unit. One would have to assume that this is a better idea, and hopefully eliminate some of these problems. This model of mag is more expensive, but I think they do one to fit a Vincent. Cheers and good luck.........Greg.
Thanks Greg, Where do you see info on this new KVF BTH system with remote coils please? Thank you, Craig

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi Craig, I think it was from the BT-H web site, and when I asked Peter he told me about them. They look just like a K2-F/ KV-F type magneto, and they are a little more expensive than the type we all know. I'm sure there would be some info on their site. They certainly look nice, but how they perform verses the other type I do not know. I had an output coil fail on a brand new Joe Hunt mag that I fitted to the racer, earlier this year when I was at Phillip Island. I had spare points, condenser and so on.....You just never know what can happen where electrics are concerned.....Just managed to find a new replacement and install it in time before my first race on Saturday.......:eek:......Cheers........Greg.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
On the new model BT-H they supply which looks more like a conventional K2-F/ KV-F the coils are mounted completely away from the mag housing, up under the tank somewhere I suppose, and the low tension output wires that go to each coil look like the original HT wires where they come out of the dummy pickups on each side of the unit. .........Greg.
You can put the HT coils/coils anywhere you like with your existing BT-H magneto. You just need to make up some extensions for the low tension leads.
You will need a male spade at one end to push into the female spade connector you removed from the HT coil. At the other end of your extended wires you need female connectors to connect to the coils in their new location.
Use good quality insulated spade connectors the same as those already fitted.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Plug wires

Could the kill wire problem be caused by using solid core plug wires? If a switch is made from Lucas mag to BT-H should resistor type or mag plug wires be used? The copper core wires are helpful with a magneto spark, but I would think they are not necessary and could cause RFI interference or induction problems with electronic systems. I could find no mention on the BT-H site.

Ron

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Plug wires

Could the kill wire problem be caused by using solid core plug wires? If a switch is made from Lucas mag to BT-H should resistor type or mag plug wires be used? The copper core wires are helpful with a magneto spark, but I would think they are not necessary and could cause RFI interference or induction problems with electronic systems. I could find no mention on the BT-H site.

Ron
They are supplied as standard with copper core wires and non resistor plug caps. I personally would not recommend anything other than copper core leads for any ignition system.
I know people who had problems because they "upgraded" their leads. The problems disappeared when they put the originals back on.