FF: Forks Brampton fork bushings

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
Having gone through 3 sets of spindles and olive bushes and now due to replace again (after more than 100k miles mind you) I am wondering if needle roller bearings would be a possibility. Any advice on type etc?

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I wonder if nylon would be better the first nylon bushes in Girdralics were great I think later ones were wrong nylon
perhaps we could try printing some on our 3D printer?????

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
what i have done is:
inchrome the stainless st spindles, only 0,005 mm thickness but what a hardness, even Ph brons doesnt wear it out, apart from the obvious misalingments in the whole thing.
you can also use the teflon bushes by SKF, but imperial sises only available in USA now

vibrac

VOC Member
"inchrome" one of those phrases that is difficult to google due to the closeness in name to a browser is is a special treatment? or just another name for hard chrome?

greg brillus

VOC Member
If you use original bushes, push them in a bit further and fit "O" rings in the gap, this will help stop the oil/grease getting on to the friction discs.

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
"inchrome" one of those phrases that is difficult to google due to the closeness in name to a browser is is a special treatment? or just another name for hard chrome?
For those in the UK there is a company in Dunstable called Fit forx that repairs fork tubes they also do hard chrome and grinding.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
Also in England there is Jake Robbins Vintage Engineering in Hastings. He seems able to do anything to any type of girder fork. He did an outstanding job of re-tubing my Bramptons. I no longer live in fear of pot holes.

Attachments

• bramptons 3.jpg
    bramptons 3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • 005 brampton  forks.gif
    005 brampton forks.gif
    336.4 KB · Views: 39