FT: Frame (Twin) Bold Machine Co Shocks

Somer

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
These were cast by the late Gene Aucott while employed at the Philadelphia Navy Yard. The have a 1939 Nash valve spring inside to supply the "spring". They work great. My wife loves them. Years ago a guy tried to duplicate them but the cost was prohibitive. Ed LaBelle used them on his bike. (maybe helped him set the record ;-) )

Attachments

• 2018-10-19 001 2018-10-19 006.JPG
    2018-10-19 001 2018-10-19 006.JPG
    667.7 KB · Views: 54
  • LaBelle-Daytona 001.jpg
    LaBelle-Daytona 001.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 53

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
These were cast by the late Gene Aucott while employed at the Philadelphia Navy Yard. The have a 1939 Nash valve spring inside to supply the "spring". They work great. My wife loves them. Years ago a guy tried to duplicate them but the cost was prohibitive. Ed LaBelle used them on his bike. (maybe helped him set the record ;-) )
Hi Somer,

I have found a few answers to the puzzle Gene may have cast them but another fellow machined them for him. He was a good friend of Gene's. I am looking for another one if you have any for sale. I am waiting for an email to find out how the unit came about. I am lead to believe the fellow may still be alive.

This is a bike David posted a long time ago.

Seat Stays on B.GIF

Somer

VOC Member
The ones I have seen didn't have the stamping s like yours on top. Note the tach drive in the picture. Gene made those too. They operated off of the ATD. Problem was that they tended to unscrew the ATD bolt!

greg brillus

VOC Member
The problem with a spring only unit is they tend to feel like an old tractor seat. like a series "A" comfortable but a wollowing ride.........as I'd describe it......... Having something adjustable, and with damping built in is a bit more practical, that's why I came up with the newer version..........too expensive to make for others though. Look up suspension units for mountain bikes.........