Misc: Charging Systems Biggest 12v Battery for a Series 'B' Single?

CoreyL

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think I've decided to stick with a sealed AGM lead-acid battery. The Yuasa YTZ12S is 12V (11 Ah) and is 6"L X 3-7/16"W X 4-⅜"H. I can stand it on its side and it should fit pretty well. That way I don't need a lithium battery-specific trickle charger and I don't have to worry about the Alton putting out more voltage than the lithium battery wants to see.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
Despite the Alton recommendations, I've had good luck with this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/173988478229

It's on my D Rapide with an Alton, battery-coil ignition and my right leg for starting. I have an LED headlight "bulb" which draws some 24 watts (12v) and I ride with it on. It just fits in the plastic battery shell. The price is right, that's for sure.

oexing

VOC Member
Well, I would not be willing to pay 200 Pounds for a battery and will no longer accept lead batteries of all types. I had defects with battery blocks from vibration - not on Vincents - by broken connections within the block. So I use old cases and solder up a set of round cells within available space. So defective cells can be replaced at near to no costs. 8 Ah is good enough for my needs, no starters hooked up to batteries when you need massive pole connectors for high amps. Just looked up prices so maybe I´ll get blocks today instead of soldering up sets from round cells.
In UK Ebay you can find LiFePo4 blocks 12 V from 35 to 68 Pounds , 6 Ah and 12 Ah so quite acceptable and less critical to vibrations I believe.

Vic

vibrac

VOC Member
Well I had a LiFe battery like Marcus and I took the E start Comet to Spain (It was not my original choice of bike to take) and I soon found the engine was very oily and did not start too well so until I got the message and cleaned the plug before starting each time it took a lot of turns to get going so the starter took a real hammering I never felt a drop in urge from the battery

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Chris Kleps found time and again that his Shorai 18lfx had one good rollover in it. If the bike didn't start on first go, the battery was dead.
But his Egli is a 1000 cc twin, not a 500 single so that is a different amount of work being done.

Glen

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Well, now that it seems to be set up properly engine wise he says its starts really well on the setup he has. Fingers crossed!

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
When Chris took his starter apart it was full of gunk, rust, dirt etc. I believe he may have it sorted it out during the last rebuild.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Chris Kleps found time and again that his Shorai 18lfx had one good rollover in it. If the bike didn't start on first go, the battery was dead.
But his Egli is a 1000 cc twin, not a 500 single so that is a different amount of work being done.

Glen
My experience with Shorei Lithium Iron batteries has been positive with my Rapide on 8:1 pistons, it starts very well. On the odd occasion that it does not start straight away for some reason it is good for several attempts at starting. I have also used it successfully on my 996 Ducati ST4S. The one I use is the LFX14A1-BS12, stood on end in a dummy battery box. The ratings on the side of the battery are 12V, Ah 14, CCA, Max Charge Rate 14A. I don't know what the engine specification is on the Egli, maybe a bit hotter than my Rapide but I would have thought that the problem was not the battery unless it was not charged or a complete dud. Michael Vane Hunt mentions that when the starter was taken apart it was full of gunk, rust, dirt etc. I guess that was the problem.
The surprisingly light weight, the way they hold their charge for a long time when not used and the ability to be oriented any way up, down, whatever, are positives. The big negative unfortunately is their price.

LoneStar

VOC Member
The ratings on the side of the battery are 12V, Ah 14

They may be very effective batteries in practice, but I dislike the games they play with specifications. That battery is not actually 14AH, but 14 of something called "A/HR Pb eq". They do not say what this means, nor what the actual AH rating is (AH is a universal battery metric, no reason to hide it except for marketing purposes).

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
They may be very effective batteries in practice, but I dislike the games they play with specifications. That battery is not actually 14AH, but 14 of something called "A/HR Pb eq". They do not say what this means, nor what the actual AH rating is (AH is a universal battery metric, no reason to hide it except for marketing purposes).

My post was just to say what is on the battery label and that it works for me.:)
Numbers are a guide and have little meaning if it doesn't do the job.