Misc: Charging Systems Biggest 12v Battery for a Series 'B' Single?

CoreyL

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I recently upgraded from my 6V Miller dynamo with 12V regulator to an Alton 12V alternator/regulator. I want to replace the small 5 Ah battery that I had been used with something with greater capacity (Alton recommends 10-14 Ah).

What is the largest 12V battery that can be installed in the space available on the Series B single? I looks like the platform is 4.5" wide, 3.5" deep and the strap would allow something about 6.5" tall.

vibrac

VOC Member
A standard dummy black box to replace an original battery can contain a Lithium battery powerful enough to spin a Comet electric starter and the Alton recovers it to full charge in 4 or 5 miles (thats what I have) so its just a question of sitting down with a battery catalogue and choosing one that fits a battery box. I dont think you will worry an Alton

CoreyL

VOC Member
A standard dummy black box to replace an original battery can contain a Lithium battery powerful enough to spin a Comet electric starter and the Alton recovers it to full charge in 4 or 5 miles (thats what I have) so its just a question of sitting down with a battery catalogue and choosing one that fits a battery box. I dont think you will worry an Alton
The lithium batteries I've looked at are smaller but many of them have small Ah ratings (less than 10 Ah) even though they have high cold cranking amps (CCA) capability. Do you have a make/model number for the battery you have in your battery box?

stu spalding

VOC Member
Hi Corey, A Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 fits in the dummy case just fine. Here's my set up for terminals. Cheers, Stu.
23 battery.JPG

CoreyL

VOC Member
Hi Corey, A Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 fits in the dummy case just fine. Here's my set up for terminals. Cheers, Stu.View attachment 48173
So the battery is stood on its end in the battery box? This is on a single, right; not a twin? The specs for this battery say: 6 Ah (18 Ah Equivalent). Not sure what that means. Are you using this battery with an Alton charging system? Did you fabricate the little linkages? Do you need to use the Shorai-specific charger?

stu spalding

VOC Member
It doesn't matter which way up the battery sits. The terminals are flattened copper tube with soldered brass fittings. The dynamo is a 16 amp Marelli with a DVR3 regulator which gives similar performance to an Alton. Twin or single doesn't really matter. Cheers, Stu.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Corey my handsome, this is what I have fitted to a "D" Comet 360 CCA it is charged with an Alton and is running twin plugs and two coils and copes with it with ease. The dimensions are within the sizes of the old 6V battery box although I have a S/S box I could fit it into, I think all the information about the battery is on it but they are nearly £200 but possibly cheaper in USA, if more info is required just come back to me. Terminal placed on the side as it doesn't matter which way you mount them.
bananaman.

IMG_4116.jpeg

IMG_4114.jpeg

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
So the battery is stood on its end in the battery box? This is on a single, right; not a twin? The specs for this battery say: 6 Ah (18 Ah Equivalent). Not sure what that means. Are you using this battery with an Alton charging system? Did you fabricate the little linkages? Do you need to use the Shorai-specific charger?
The 18ah pb equivalent rating is a one time quick short rating for the battery. Lithium batteries are capable of flowing all of their available power at a very high rate, so the manufacturer's use this number to help sell the batteries.
It is useful power for e start provided the bike doesn't need prolonged cranking for some reason.
Then you will quickly learn that there is only 6 ah of actual power stored in the 18ah pb equivalent lithium battery.
Most folks that purchase an 18ah lithium battery fully believe it actually holds 18ah of power.
You are the first person I've encountered who has cottoned onto the fact that the numbers don't jive.

Glen