ET: Engine (Twin) What’s the Purpose of Oil Quill Screw #227?

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I wonder if a replacement Timing cover was used ?,
And the hole does not line up as good as the old one ?
I have just fitted a Primary inner case . Comet, And the out side shape was way out !.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I use that port to pump lots of oil in there after the bike has been laid up for the winter. Have no idea if it is a good idea or not.
Isn't thats why its there, I always assumed so, and have been using it for that purpose for the last 56 years, always great fun for checking ones cognitive abilities and manual dexterity in trying to line the thread up before most of the oil that you have pumped into the hole spurts back out again and makes a mess of your exhaust pipes.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
As for the hole in the timing cover being out of line with the crankshaft bore there were several engines built where the crankshaft was higher than normal, my Norvin engine is one of these, it was built from accumulated parts for me by Maughans in the 90s and needed the hole in the cover welding up and re-machining. They also need special undersized large idlers, surprisingly they had another in at the same time from the USA and had by then come across another four I think.

Whiteshadow15

Non-VOC Member
It’s not the original cover to the bike as it has a different mating number on it, but it is an original factory piece anyways.

Really just chalking it up to user error and a faulty quill, I really didn’t put that much pressure on it.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
For sure I would at least put the cover on without the quill and have a good look up the hole to see if it is visibly in line. I have seen ones that are definitely not, and welding and re machining is the only solution........

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Unless the Main shaft / Big end is really bad ?.
I have a Twin flywheel assy Not done many miles , About a 1000 , Built by one of our top blokes,
Which does not let any oil up the main shaft, Don't know if the shaft has slipped round ?,
I must strip it out one day .

oexing

VOC Member
Brass can age with reduced strength as can be seen with broken old roller cages in big ends. So better get a new manufactured quill screw in doubt.

Vic

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Incidentally, page 17 of the Rider's Handbook (10th. edition) does explain the purpose of this little screw. A bit like IKEA, really. Assemble the item and then sit down, relax, pour a beer and read the Instructions.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Incidentally, page 17 of the Rider's Handbook (10th. edition) does explain the purpose of this little screw.
A quote from 'page 17 of the Rider's Handbook (10th. edition)' would be nice for those that do not have access to that handbook and also save a lot of speculative posts.