ET: Engine (Twin) What’s the Purpose of Oil Quill Screw #227?

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Someone please refresh me on the reference and use of this oil quill port.
I know what the quill provides.
I know what the gasket and washers provide.
I know 227 is a screw on the quill.

Where is reference to this port?

MO18OilQuill.jpg

Alyson

VOC Member
would it work to loosen the screw, not all the way out, while the engine is running to check for circulation ?

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Yup, a good idea, because the Quill feeds the big-end and then the oil goes to the spindles and cams through the timing cover galleries. The oil return in the tank proves the pump is working and that the rockers and valve gear are getting fed. Oil from the rockers also "cascades " down the pushrod tubes and then gets chucked about over the followers and cams. One note of warning. I would never trust the timing case galleries to be clear on any unknown bike. The grub screw(s), 221 should always be removed and the galleries cleaned, likewise the stop valve, OP37. Incidentally I read recently that in P.E.I's opinion the oil feed to the back of the pistons was necessary when high ambient temperatures and high speed were experienced, but not in the U.K. and similar markets.

davidd

VOC Member
I would assume that it is easier to drill the bore through the top and then plug the top with the screw. Much like the grub screw in the timing chest when drilling the twin rear cam oil way.

David

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I'm with you David, pretty sure it is just there to plug the hole from drilling the oil passage up the center of the quill, but wanted to see what people thought it could be used for!

Whiteshadow15

Non-VOC Member
Semi-related

Has anyone ever seen this happen to the quill? Went to gently snug up and it gave way and broke in three pieces. Perhaps just defective if is there something else I should be concerned about?

I was dumbfounded. New engine with 3 miles, had gearbox issues so it sat for awhile, was priming to fire up again and that happened.

The marks on the middle part are from vice grips when removing the part from the timing cover.

Attachments

• 1B1B27D9-830E-4AAF-AA83-DB4AFBB7A606.jpeg
    1B1B27D9-830E-4AAF-AA83-DB4AFBB7A606.jpeg
    468.4 KB · Views: 41

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
This can happen for a few reasons. The usual one is some ham- fisted primate overtightening the quill, or not pulling away and refitting the timing cover square on to the face with the quill in situ. Many owners remove the quill before lifting off the cover, and this is probably the best plan. However there are snags to this undertaking as well. The thread is a fine one, 3/8" C.E.I. (26 t.p.i.) which is not the best choice for a short thread in alloy. The next possibility is an incorrectly made part, I've seen one made with a 1/8" B.S.P. thread. The third possibility is a misalignment between the mainshaft bore and the inner end of the quill, unlikely in this case. There is always a bit of rubbing here anyway on old machines. The diameter of the scroll should be .236" and the bore, .250". The next possibility is that the quill threaded portion is too long. It is vital that it not project beyond the inner timing case face as the mainshaft runs very close here. Some Australian? made ones fail in this respect, and for the same reason one should never omit the washer, 225, even if there is a nice "O" ring under the head of the non-standard quill. I reclaimed a butchered Comet timing cover with a "special" quill on which I cut a 1/4" B.S.P. thread. In all other respects dimensionally accurate and possibly a better thread in to alloy. This thread would probably also suit a sleeve repair to the Twin primary chain adjuster. I wasn't inferring, Mr. Whiteshadow 15, that you were simian, just enumerating some of the possibilities! A further note, the original drilled bore of the quill was .093" and was marked on the head of original parts I've seen. Cheers from Victoria.

Last edited: