FT: Frame (Twin) Vintage sidecar for 47 Rapide

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I was able to secure an FT170 Vincent sidecar bracket. I think this transfers to left or right if needed.
I am still looking for help on purchasing or fabricating a right side sidecar chassis that will allow a period style sidecar body that looks correct.
Do you need a shorter upper Girdraulic link in addition to rotating the eccentric for increased spring preload/rate.
View attachment 17677 View attachment 17678

Thanks for posting the picture of that bracket. I had no clue what that thing was rattling around in my odds and ends box. I can put it to good use now.

vibrac

VOC Member
As Dave said, the short top link was designed to make the trail nearer to zero. I don't think a short top link was ever available from Vincent, but several were made by owners and the lengths may vary. I used to average about 110 miles per day, seven days a week on my bikes, so comfort was important. Today's use is much lighter, so I can deal with compromises more easily. A stock top link should be fine. Of course, the less sporting the side car is the more work you have to do. I have a part number for the touring handle bars from a modern supplier in the US that is very close.

David
My trials chair on the comet had a very narrow wheel base and was very light I did have 18 inch wheels and 17 on the trials chair the only real mod was trials bars and eccentric rotation it manovered a treat but needed a crew of two solo the sidecar wheel spent a lot of time with air under the wheel great fun!

deejay499

VOC Member
I see that VOC spares has them. Can anyone tell me what length they are? It states that they are 5/8 shorter than standard, but I don't know what standard is.
Or if someone could tell me roughly what size the shorter one are that are floating around out there.

Note that the top shroud on the standard ‘C’ damper has to be removed with a short top link. On my Prince with standard Armstrong damper, I had to cut the shroud to a ‘D’ shape to miss it.

erik

VOC Member
this is not english,but you can buy here in Germany a complete new steib sidecar with a Hood if you want.i had an s350 on my horex mounted,no Problems.if you look in the Internet: Steib Seitenwagen.

craig

VOC Member
I found a "Royal 281 " replica side car that looks like it can be enclosed, but this particular Royal I find no history or this year of manufacture.
Anyone familiar with Royal ? This appears to a 1920s style to me .
http://www.oldtimergarage.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=80
I want an enclosed, British 1947 era sidecar , right side mount.
I see the Steib and other type sporty side cars bullets, but I need an enclosed with windshield/door style.
002.765_9_XL.JPG

craig

VOC Member
I need a RH Blacknell or similar..............or a RH Astral I

I mirrored the photo to make the photo appear RH
Blacknell_1952RH_advert.jpg

Last edited: