Vincent official drill pattern for G32/2AS - Gearbox Camplate

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just thinking aloud here but if one wanted a very light cam plate how about an ali one made like Neville's modified one, hard anodized and then use a replacement for the G35 centralising plunger which would have a rotating roller in it's end rather than a hardened point. I do not know what would happen to the wear between the slots in such a cam plate and the 'pegs' in the two G29AS and G28s forks but hard anodizing has been used on some cylinder liners where there is lots of sliding wear with piston rings.
I would not push the inertia effects of the cam plate too far, certainly not to the point that the path of the selectors could be affected by wear in the slots.If we could change gear without the clutch in the heat of racing on a standard lightened camplate and 1275cc pushing through the box I suggest to look elsewhere for better changes (not that a belt drive and a Newby clutch did not help)

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Craig,
It is just a Vincent camplate, not the Turin Shroud.;-)
If you prefer to keep the standard camplate "in reserve" you can get a lightened one to experiment with from the Vincent Spares Co.
I weighed the G32 with G33 assembly from this 47 Rapide and it weighs 260 grams, shows little wear.
Maybe it is historical and should not be modified?

craig

VOC Member
Dear A-BCD, i used the Neville Higgins template and a Dremel tool with thin cut off disc and generated little heat. Required some followup with a grinding wheel which generates lots of heat and needs constant attention.
I lost 15 grams with the trim at first gear area!

Last edited:

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Craig,
A good idea to use a cutting disc. thumbs_up.gif
The thin cut would generate a loss less heat while cutting the unwanted portions of the camplate. I may try that next time I have the camplate out. Let us know what the finished item weighs.
Dear A-BCD, i used the Neville Higgins template and a Dremel tool with thin cut off disc and generated little heat. Required some followup with a grinding wheel which generates lots of heat and needs constant attention.
I lost 15 grams with the trim at first gear area!

Last edited: