Vincent CAD Files

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I thought PCV’s first prototype had that feature, but I looked in Autobiography, Gallery, etc. and couldn’t find anything.

davidd

VOC Member
I like what you have done where the steering head fastens to the front cylinder head lug. It has long seemed to me that the change to a central interface, although it might have been fine with a 'C' type oil tank for support, was less than optimum when it came to the 'D's where there is only a tube to take compression loads. That tube cannot give any lateral support to the top. Obviously it is strong enough as they don't break but a hybrid 'D' with a screw thread in the middle to allow head angle changes and your lower support could be a very nice combination.

John Renwick did a Vincent frame that had adjustable rake. It is much like you described. He used a short flat metal welded box to replace the oil tank and bolted the tube that ran back to the rear cylinder to the flat metal box via a threaded adjustment. He used the frame on Folan Engine and I think it was very successful.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
Now Bill can help me on this but was it the Capon Vincent that lost its steering head integrity and cashed at Brands killing Lance the builder ?
I know he was a fast man to ride against and a nice guy in the paddock (we were always short of Vincent spares).
The bike is still with us and his widow had it at Cadwell a few years ago.
Even more help Bill, was it not the reconstituted Capon that was involved in the Ian Hamilton accident?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Now Bill can help me on this but was it the Capon Vincent that lost its steering head integrity and cashed at Brands killing Lance the builder ?
I know he was a fast man to ride against and a nice guy in the paddock (we were always short of Vincent spares).
Even more help Bill, was it not the reconstituted Capon that was involved in the Ian Hamilton accident?
Sorry, Never meet the bloke, He raced at Clubs that I didn't.
But Ian Alexander, Had a real bad one at Cadwell, We nearly lost him, The ALLOY head stock broke, Not sure if the break was the cause or if it broke because of the crash ?, Who can be sure with these things,
But I would not use one.
As you know, Ian was a fast but safe type of rider, I was told the other day, He is still in the Club and Well.
Cheers Bill.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Sorry, Never meet the bloke, He raced at Clubs that I didn't.
But Ian Alexander, ............. I was told the other day, He is still in the Club and Well.
Cheers Bill.
We very occasionaly see Ian Alexander at a Coventry Section club night . His sons are into cycling so I think he is quite involved with that.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
We very occasionaly see Ian Alexander at a Coventry Section club night . His sons are into cycling so I think he is quite involved with that.
Who said Burman boxes are no good !, Ian Alexander had one on is 1170 cc and he was too fast for me !.
Here he is, Just about to get me at Silverstone. Cheers Bill. scan0005.jpg

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Tim,

I was in the race on that fateful day and you are correct Ian was dicing with the Capon when the accident happened. There was some unsubstantiated talk that the Capon rider ( I forget his name) was pushing the envelope in what was safe.
Bill

timetraveller

VOC Member
I can also tell you that one Vincent rider I used to help was considering refusing to race if the rider in question was in the same race. I have personally seen him swerve violently and lean in front of a rider at the hairpin at Lyden. It might be thought that all is fair in racing but not when people are doing it for pleasure and funding their own racing while at the same time keeping a family.

vibrac

VOC Member
But when it comes to the original Lance Capon accident (which is why I mentioned it in the first place ) we are talking about a failure of a headstock in this case a welded component and I wanted to underline the considerable forces at work in that area. It seems by what has been said here and been clarified that the second incident with the same bike was rider error or action and not mechanical failure.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Just to be clear, Alex asked for anything Vincent related to use for making something interesting in his spare time at the new job. He included things like cylinder heads, which of course could never be used if made in engineering plastic materials. I think what we are talking about is what is still known as Rapid Prototyping and it would be informative to make something to look at and and possibly even assemble into a bike for fit and function evaluation. I did the headstock model for the same reason he asked for Vincent oriented models, for a bit of fun and to try out a few ideas I had about the fork arrangement and to see if a component that is often found to be twisted or bent could be improved and still look somewhat original. Some may remember that the incentive for me was when I discovered that my early B UFM had been bent enough that the tank lugs were rotated and the fork was out of alignment. I spent a lot of time getting it straight again. I also added a couple of lugs for mounting a fairing. Whether to use something like a headstock made this way from the best plastic materials available as a working part is a matter beyond my engineering background and courage. When he gets into direct metal production later, it could be a different story. I do think there are a few components of a Vincent that could be made this way, especially on a special or a racer, where rules allow, that could save some weight and enable production of very compex parts that would be hard to machine or expensive to cast. This is already being done on modern bikes and Davidd has done some nice things with fiberglas on his racers that could be made by AM.

windform.jpg
windform-sp-470x302.jpg

Last edited: