Vincent CAD Files

champion

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ron,

We do the same thing using P3 and P7 EOS machines, you aren't from Newbury are you?

I would love the STL files.

I do for sure. Sounds like you are in a good spot with the right equipment to watch the world change. Additive manufacturing has a great future, and a great present to build on. I started with 3D printing in 1999 in its infancy, and when I retired the company I worked for was (still is) making patient and procedure specific surgical fixtures for brain surgery using autoclavable PA11 on EOS machines. If you want the STL file send me a PM.

Ron

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Hi Alex,

No, this is a small company in Maine:

https://www.fh-co.com/category/microtargeting-platforms

What does your company do?

I will be sending you the stl by PM if the forum messaging function will accept fairly large files. If not we can make other arrangements. I'd love to see the headstock be instantiated. It's been a while, but I think I designed it to have sleeves in the bearing pockets and through bolt holes and threaded inserts where required, which would mean some small amount of machining to fit the metal, but depending on the resolution of your machines you may be able to avoid that.

Ron

champion

VOC Member
Ron,

We do all sorts, medical, architecture models, Motorsport / automotive prototypes, bespoke electrical connectors. From memory, our machines do 0.06mm or 0.12mm (more common).

Ron, in your experience, are there any design changes which could be done to the head stock in order to improve its design for A.M.?

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I really designed it thinking about A.M. in non-metallic material first, so no changes should be necessary. Direct metal would be good too, but I was looking for what weight savings would be possible. I would think an FEA analysis or thorough fracture testing would be a good idea before using anything as critical as a headstock on the road. I think the best material available when Davidd and I looked at this in 2014 was called Windform, but it was outrageously expensive. I am not sure what new materials might be best since I haven't looked at Rapid Manufacturing advances in a couple of years.

You should have the files now.

davidd

VOC Member
I liked Ron's design very much. I planned to have my machine shop make it, but they went away!

David

bmetcalf

VOC Member
FEA can eliminate a bunch of metal, see almost hubless 175 hp EBR 1190 rear wheel. The labeled part is a loose spacer tube. Vibrac has seen this.

2B10AFDF-E831-4B30-B6A9-BF5C4267500E.jpg

Oldhaven

VOC Member
As an experiment, this PDF of the head stock should be an active file that will allow anyone with a recent version of Adobe Acrobat to rotate and manipulate it, look at cross sections etc. I am not sure it will load correctly but let's see.

later edit: works for me

Attachments

• headstocksls6export.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 49

timetraveller

VOC Member
I like what you have done where the steering head fastens to the front cylinder head lug. It has long seemed to me that the change to a central interface, although it might have been fine with a 'C' type oil tank for support, was less than optimum when it came to the 'D's where there is only a tube to take compression loads. That tube cannot give any lateral support to the top. Obviously it is strong enough as they don't break but a hybrid 'D' with a screw thread in the middle to allow head angle changes and your lower support could be a very nice combination.