PR: Proprietary Items Varley Battery Story PR23/1

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Varley battery on EbayUK right now , if you collect such, but interestingly has a reference to Leonard Fuller on it's label.
VarleyV-201.jpg

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have an original Chloride battery here. The internals have been removed and so I intend to drop a modern
battery inside it. I cannot find a model number on the case though.

Img_2579.jpgImg_2580.jpgImg_2581.jpg

Simon

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Early fifties we would walk from Trelawne Farm down to Taland Bay up Bridle Lane to Bill Greenwood's cottage where he had a stream water wheel driving a dynamo charging the radio glass accumulator, six mile round walk, there was also another battery (dry cell type) about 10" square with a bunch of terminals along one side. The things we remember ! Last accumulators I worked with each held eight cubic meters of freon 22 when the bananas were cooled with a liquid re-circ system. Very efficient but bloody expensive if one looses a charge and one ship lost it twice !
bananaman.
Yes still in Bangkok

craig

VOC Member
My 1932 Miller Maintenance and Running Instructions discusses "battery", no mention of accumulators.
And the word battery is used thru out the booklet dozens of times.
This Varley use of accumulator looks to be setting up Varley as something special, and they were.

index.php

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
My 1932 Miller Maintenance and Running Instructions discusses "battery", no mention of accumulators.
And the word battery is used thru out the booklet dozens of times.
This Varley use of accumulator looks to be setting up Varley as something special, and they were.
Yes wet cell seems to be associated closely to the term accumulator (electrical) and all the early use referred to batteries in glass cases used extensively for pre mains wireless receivers so the use of 'Dry' by Varley seems as you say trying to put a different slant on the product

The VOC Spares Company Limited

VOC Member
The Series 'B' Spares Book drawing MO36 shows a unbranded battery.
The Series 'D' Spares Book shows a VARLEY battery.
These drawings are only a snap shot in time.

Attachments

• MO36.gif
    MO36.gif
    118.5 KB · Views: 28