PR: Proprietary Items Varley Battery Story PR23/1

Montlhery

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for posting this Craig , I have been on the hunt for years for Varley batterys . I think they were fitted to Ds and NSU Vincent Foxes . There must be some out there tucked away in sheds or attics . And a brillant idea once we find one to 3D scan one and make shells .

craig

VOC Member
I think this battery case would be a great boost toward making Vincent restorations a little more unique.
Anal , but notable.
Would like to see same on 1946-1954 Exide battery case as well.

Here is last page of four page, simple foldover brochure.
The text reprint above was included as a loose page insert.

VarleyBatteryBrochure4tvc.jpg

Last edited:

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
Such pictures that I have seen showing the battery on Vincent's show hexagonal "plastic" (Bakelite?) nuts with a brass insert. This is an Exide fitting. The Varley nuts are usually round knurled types, in Bakelite.

craig

VOC Member
Back on my quest for more documentation of Vincent batteries. I am beginning to understand that the Varley battery might be a "D" series change (Bickerstaff Page 47).

I finally found a reference to the Exide battery part number. From Paul Richardson -
------------------------------------------
Paul Richardson – Vincent , 3rd edition 1996, page 121-2
Battery
At least once a month the battery should be topped up with distilled water until the plates are just submerged, but the level of the electrolyte should not be allowed to reach the bottom of the filling orifice. The state of charge is indicated by the specific gravity of the electrolyte, and this is checked with a hydrometer. Provided no electrolyte has been spilt,
gravity figures will be as follows:
Fully charged 1.285 - 1.300
Half discharged 1.210
Fully discharged 1.150
Standard equipment is the 6 volt "Exide" motor cycle battery, type 3EK5AL. If a machine is laid up for several months the battery should receive a trickle charge about once a fortnight to prevent permanent sulphation of the plates.
Connections should be clean and tight, but the use of a spanner on the hexagon terminal nuts is to be avoided, since the terminal will fracture if too much force is applied. Use some Vaseline to prevent corrosion, and never leave a battery in a state of discharge; unless some long daylight runs are made the battery should be charged from an independent source.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

So where is the literature on an Exide 3EK5AL?
Is it the same as a 3EK5B (listed in my 1937 Miller booklet)?

vibrac

VOC Member
when did UK people stop calling batteries "accumulators" or was that just glass ones for wireless receivers?

craig

VOC Member
KTB 4th ed, 2003 (pages 226 and 231) lists a battery - Chloride 812 .
Where is documentation on these batteries please?

Vibrac - my 1937/8 Miller booklet lists batteries as batteries, no mention of accumulators.