ET: Engine (Twin) V3 PD9 Primary Drive Tensioner

Rob H

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Any feedback on the use of the V3 Products rubberised tensioner blade?

Is it any better than the standard steel blade?

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
The rubber makes the tensioner thicker so the angle between chain and the blade is. Greater causing the new blade to bend near the end. In my opinion it is better to fit the series D components ie the 2 part blade and new abutment or open out in the slots old components .the side plates of th eReynold s chain are. very rough and give the tensioner a hard time so fit. TSUBAKI chain which appears to be of better quality a Heretic' s view

vibrac

VOC Member
I haven't looked for some time at Reynolds but I don't think they are but welded rollers I think that examples of makes like that remaining on sale are intended for car timing chain

greg brillus

VOC Member
I guess less noise, less metal to metal contact, a small amount of "Give" for electric start engines. Rubber backed tension blades have been used in more modern car engines for years. Just make sure the chain tension is right, not too loose and not too tight either........Remembering the tension increases as the engine heats up.

Albervin

VOC Member
I have had a rubber tensioner in the Rapide since the last rebuild. Several thousand miles and all good. I have a Tsubaki chain too. My Shadow had an old metal one and the grooves were quite pronounced. Where does the metal go? Also has a Tsubaki chain. I have fitted a rubber backed one now as I thought it was an improvement. The Shadow has an electric start so I figured the rubber backed item would be more gentle for start-ups. When the bike is assembled I will know if I made the correct decision.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Don't let it go as long as I let this BMW cam chain tensioner go.

Tensioner.JPG

clevtrev

VOC Member
I have had a rubber tensioner in the Rapide since the last rebuild. Several thousand miles and all good. I have a Tsubaki chain too. My Shadow had an old metal one and the grooves were quite pronounced. Where does the metal go? Also has a Tsubaki chain. I have fitted a rubber backed one now as I thought it was an improvement. The Shadow has an electric start so I figured the rubber backed item would be more gentle for start-ups. When the bike is assembled I will know if I made the correct decision.
Have you considered that when you press the starter it`s the lower run of the chain that is supplying the load, and the tensioner can get put into a rather difficult position. Just a gentle warning.