ET: Engine (Twin) Stripped Splines on Kickstart Shaft and Lever (Weep)

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The largest gathering of Vincent motorcycles that I have been fortunate enough to be part of was the 1999 International Rally at the Isle of Man, I wouldn’t mind betting that most of those bikes were still using their original kickstart cranks, I think most of the failures are due to poor maintenance at sometime in the past, I do not consider it a flawed design.

oexing

VOC Member
Poor maintenance would apply to the push bike taper pin idea the same. You certainly assemble the lot with some good grease, maybe a bit of MoS2 powder or paste on anything that is stainless. So then corrosion is no factor in this joint. Imagine how many kickstarts this would be seeing years of use with push bike pedals with this design. Yes, pedals can work loose when owners ignorant enough cannot be bothered to tighten the taper pin once they notice any play. So yes, maintenance in this respect is a factor of failure.
Anyway, I still think the best repair of Vincent kickstart levers is the conical square hole , no pinch bolt required here at all. With wire EDM simple to do at reasonable costs and the shaft is equally simple to mill for nice light press fit, no more worries ever. Fine setting of kickstart lever is in the real world not an argument , a few here got BMWs , some of them are classics with no electrics for starting. My guess, nobody had ever a need for adjustable kickstart levers on them. Same goes for most other brands with no fine splines as standard. So why bother about splines at all . . . .

Vic

erik

VOC Member
My experienc is that with the splines kickstarter on my Norton Commando I had no problems in 36 years of use.But withe bycicle style kickstarter on my Triumph Bonneville I had to replace the bolt some times.Maybe the bolt is not hard enough there?Erik

john998

VOC Member
When I first joined the club all the talk was about worn cams and damaged kick-start splines. Sixty years on have never had either problem.
Someone told me that to be correct they are not splines but serrations.
John.

vibrac

VOC Member
If wishes and Classic Motorcycle Articles with technicolor drawings were to be realised we would not need kickstarts ... Still look how long I waited for the Comet Starter but you know what?. It was worth the wait!

AndyBee

Forum User
VOC Member
I'm just looking at the parts to replace the kickstart lever and shaft. I notice that there is a standard kickstart shart (G83) and a longer version (G83/L). Is the longer one to help with issues where the exhaust is being fouled? Mine doesn't (or rather didn't) hit the exhaust but I wonder if anyone has a perspective on whether it's good to fit the longer shaft anyway? Also, I plan to probably replace the return spring while I'm in there. Anything else than should be changed as a routine matter while the kickstart cover is off?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Your old lever might not touch,
But the new one might ?,
It's a problem we have had for years,
Some of us, OK me !, Have had to not put the lever fully on, To miss the exhaust,
Which in turn can make the splines slip because of not all the spline being used,
So as I said earlier, I would put the longer one on.

AndyBee

Forum User
VOC Member
Your old lever might not touch,
But the new one might ?,
It's a problem we have had for years,
Some of us, OK me !, Have had to not put the lever fully on, To miss the exhaust,
Which in turn can make the splines slip because of not all the spline being used,
So as I said earlier, I would put the longer one on.
Thanks Bill - the longer one it is :)