ET: Engine (Twin) Starting Procedure Twin…Using Chokes or Not?

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I'm nearing the point where I just may have to copy the stand and make my own out of aluminum, but would rather support long time supplier Conway.
I made my own version of the Hill's stand out of steel. I have often thought of making some alloy side plates but have not gotten around to it. If the stop on the left side plate was a problem if using an alloy plate just the right-hand side could be made in alloy to save some weight. Alternatively, you could design and fix a more robust stop to a left-hand plate alloy plate.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I made a Hills type stand for the 49 c Rapide. The engine plates were aluminium so I just added on to them. Was planning to make the weld disappear but it turned out ok so I left it there for all the world to see. I had no problem with the aluminium stop but I kickstart the bike on its wheels only.
One problem I used to have with the Hills stand on the 47 Rapide was parking the bike on a lawn or any soft material. The tiny feet would punch right in and the bike would sometimes fall over. I doubled or tripled the size of the feet and now it's sits on a lawn without punching in.
Screenshot_20220830-133516.png

oexing

VOC Member
The first time I saw the Hills stand I knew it was useless on soft ground. It just got no clever feet for rolling the bike up the stand and no safe parking on softer gound. The 1935 Guzzi was inspiration for the homemade stand for the 1935 Horex 600 4 valves and Honda Clubman, and I will try to do same for the B Raps . The Horex got alu engine plates as well and we start all bikes on center stands all times , no rear stands on any of own bikes. What is wrong on Hills stands too, is the down stops way too close to the pivot so there is extremely high torque and load on stop from bike´s weight and kickstart forces. I´d want 2 " / 5cm minimum stop "lever" on the stand bracket for taking the loads so then alu engine plates are no problem at all. And I´d want two stops on right and left plates certainly for no twisting forces in main stand when sitting on stand !! See the feet shape on the Horex, a decent space parallel to the ground for safe parking on softer ground. The Hills type is heavy for lifting up on stand, no roll-on shape here, plus the bike sits on rear edge of feet, ruining your garage floor. A lot to be desired , I say. So when designing a new stand keep this in mind for fabricating something not second best. I do believe you can find space for better feet on the Vincent, either between silencer and tire or outside close to silencer, like on Guzzi.

Vic

stand stop is the black bracket with hole sitting on alu plate:

IMG00012.JPG

roll-on feet with parallel ends for floor:

IMG00007.JPG

Honda Clubman mod:

P1030325.JPG

Moto Guzzi GTV 1935 inspired:
IMG00022.JPG

oexing

VOC Member
Will certainly share photos here but not before winter or spring I guess. There are some more things to work out till I get to mainstands. I do have alu engine plates extra large ready for adding main stands but wheels have to be fitted for standing the bike on ground to get sizes then. I use cardboard patterns and paper sketches for trying roll-on shapes of feet and their smooth lifting action.

vic

CarlHungness

VOC Member
Hi: No hurry, but I can see a headache coming if I don't make the legs long enough, or too long. I make cardboard patterns too for virtually everything, but
trying to get proper length, when the length is at an angle has me a little
flummoxed. Since you have experience with such I would appreciate any info
you come up with. My bike has a 21" front, 19" rear. Longer springs in the rear as well from Justin MacKay Smith years back. I was thinking about 6061 T6 aluminum and wonder if I'd need 7075. Thanks again.