ET: Engine (Twin) Starting Procedure Twin…Using Chokes or Not?

CarlHungness

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I sympathise with Carl I am another old timer who never got the technique right, but when you are young it was easy, I would leap into the air bike just sitting on its tyres and come down with the kick start leg with all my weight behind it, technique or not, the B**stard usually started and if not i just balanced and launched myself again. When I got over 40 it became more difficult my method was to fit RE decompressors and adjust the cables so that the front decompressed on a half pull and both on a full pull. When I got to 70 odd I gave the twin to Ben, and when he races it I start it with the foxley starter much the easiest!
View attachment 52636
Thanks for the kind words. I did start the bike for years with a stock mag and thought the B-TH was quite an improvement until last Saturday morning when I fought the Beast for ten minutes. I'll keep kicking and get to Robert Watson status one of these days. But I know from experience he is one strong fella, helped me a lot in a parking lot transmission fix in Minnesota one time and couldn't have done it without he and Dan Smith.

Bobv07662

VOC Member
Oooh...a "How to start the twin" thread!

When I first got the Rapide it was in a sad state of tune but the compression and mag were fine so I was lucky with that. It was tough to get running but some of that was operator inexperience.
After fixing multiple vacuum leaks at the spigots and John Healy's advice I think I'm doing ok with the starting ritual. I use the factory 38' timing. On to the ritual...

COLD. Turn on fuel taps. Close both chokes. Tickle rear carb. Pull in decompressor. Kick/rotate through 2-3 times. Release decompressor. Get on top of compression. Pull in decompressor. Give it a full swing smooth kick and release the decompressor at the bottom of the swing while the crank speed is high. It always starts. The original 276's have loose slides and love, love the chokes till fully warmed up.

HOT. Taps on. Close both chokes. Get on top of compression. Pull in decompressor. Give it a full swing smooth kick and release the decompressor at the bottom of the swing. It always starts. Open chokes.

I have purchased a new set of 276's but I've delayed installing them since I've gotten used to the present starting ritual. Plus it runs well as it sits. Maybe if it's a snowy winter?

As I said earlier, this bike was TOUGH to start when I first got it but now, after some minor mechanical maintenance, and the rider adapting to the machine, all's well! Happy days.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
Having Mike White there too was a good deal.
Right, very knowledgeable guy. It was fun watching Dan Smith make a punch mark, drilling and being able to remove my duff bearing. Later on it gave me
confidence enough to rebuild the trans myself.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
My bike with Shadow carbs hasn't had chokes in 42 years, I tickle the front carb until it squirts, then kick.
What the hay, I'll try your method too. Actually I have been releasing the decomp lever and kicking simultaneously, and it SEEMS to me that I am just not getting a full swing through, which of course won't let the plot fire. Years back John McDougal said, "I kick and release at the same time," guess I tried it and it I don't know that it really works. Upon occasion I can get it to fire 1-2 kicks when warm, but never that easy cold. I'm going to try kicking, and releasing a lot later. Sure would like to get my confidence level up after all these (kicks and years. Thanks Bruce.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
All of these 1kick bikes are capable of making you look silly now and then.
I remember John Mcdougall giving his Black Shadow about 15 kicks to fire up. Of course it was with a large group and it was exit the Ferry time.
That poor bike paid the price afterward. Apparently it did not have a functioning rev limiter.
Actually it did, but he was very angry and limiting revs to extremely high only!

Glen

CarlHungness

VOC Member
I remember John Mcdougall giving his Black Shadow about 15 kicks to fire up. Of course it was with a large group and it was exit the Ferry time.
That poor bike paid the price afterward. Apparently it did not have a functioning rev limiter.
Actually it did, but he was very angry and limiting revs to extremely high only!

Glen
John is the guy who told me he kicked and released the decomp simultaneously, and that's the method I've been using. All I have to do is
change my approach instead of using the same method over and over, it's a
little bit insanity actually. I think I need to give the flywheels a chance to do their job and let the decomp off a little later. Then too I recall the trip where I broke the decomp cable and had to kick the engine over without it, and I do seem to recall it started pretty easily.

CarlHungness

VOC Member

Glen
Another thing about John and his bike..he had a really nifty prop-stand that I believe was forged..he told me the story of how it was made by a bloke he just had to give a quart of whiskey to...I'm glad he made the McDouglator, I still have one on my bike and it puts out as much juice as any other that's being fitted to the Vin...other than the huge car alternators that are difficult to hide. Great guy, creative, miss him.